Parallely using shared Object Repository

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
jainaakash

Parallely using shared Object Repository

Post by jainaakash » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:29 am

Hi Team,

I would like to know if it is possible to have a single Global Repository which can be shared and worked on parallely from two different machines. If I put the repository on some shared location, is it possible to use the same by multiple users? How does the changes gets saved in those cases..?

Thanks and Regards,
Aakash

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Parallely using shared Object Repository

Post by Support Team » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:41 am

Hi,

It's not recommended to use a shared repository, because on saving changes there will be conflicts between the users. For example someone add a new item and at the same time another user try to delete an element. Now both users will save their changes and the repository first will be overwritten by the first and then by the second user. In this case the changes of the user one will be discarded/overwritten by user two. So the better way is to create a "shared" repository, but each user should use a local copy of this repository. Also just one person should manage this repository. I think this is the safe way to handle such a behavior. Because when only one is the "CEO" :D of the repository there will be no conflicts between the users.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Support Team

jainaakash

Post by jainaakash » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks Peter,

But is there a way to merge two repositories. Like if the local repositories are modifed, then how do I merge those changes in the shared global repository?

Regards,
Aakash

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:27 am

Hi,

I think the best way would be to use a Source Control System like Subversion. Subversion manages files and directories, and the changes made to them, over time. This allows you to recover older versions of your data, or examine the history of how your data changed, and merge changes from several user. Also there should no problem to use it with Ranorex, because our files are all saved as plain text.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Support Team