Fergal
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Possible causes of data binding error?

Post by Fergal » Thu May 16, 2019 12:26 pm

[Ranorex 9.0.0 on Windows 7]

I have a test suite that is divided up as follows:
  • A number of smart folders, each of which contains a number of TCs
  • TCs contain smart folders, and these smart folders contain modules.
A CSV data connection has been added to each of the TCs.

When tests are run, one step in one module regularly (but not always) gives the following error:
Column '[name]' does not exist in table '[name]'.
That same column in the data source, is bound to a variable in a different module in the test suite and it runs successfully there. Other modules in the test suite, have variables bound to columns in the same data source, without any issue.

I have tried the following to resolve the issue:
  1. Binding the variable in the module, to a different column in the data source (this other column is bound to other variables, in other modules and works successfully in those other modules)
  2. Deleting the variable from the module, re-adding it with a different name and re-binding the variable
  3. Deleting the module and rebuilding it, with a new variable and data binding.
None of the above has worked.

What could be causing this issue and what should I try to resolve it?

Many thanks

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Possible causes of data binding error?

Post by odklizec » Thu May 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi,

At first, please update Ranorex with most recent 9.0.1. There is a lot of bug fixes done in this version and debugging any kind of issue in 9.0.0 is just a waste of time ;)

At next, I'm using CSV files almost exclusively in most of my projects and I've never experienced issue like this before? So it must be either something related to the version you are using or maybe something solution specific? Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell what's exactly wrong, without seeing the solution. Could you please share it? Also, have you tried to reproduce the problem with clean new solution?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Fergal
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Possible causes of data binding error?

Post by Fergal » Thu May 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Thanks for your reply odklizec. I am using Ranorex on a client VM, they are reluctant to update to 9.0.1 just yet. Also, as it is a client solution, it's not something I can share publicly.
Also, have you tried to reproduce the problem with clean new solution?
Good idea, will try that. The solution has lots of variables and data binding, yet it is just one variable in one module that occasionally causes this issue. Thanks again.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.