Problem when running Ranorex on a VM - only working maximized and connected

Ask general questions here.
BlindJones

Problem when running Ranorex on a VM - only working maximized and connected

Post by BlindJones » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:29 am

Hi all,

my problem is as follows:

We installed a DevOps Agent on a virtual machine to test an AUT by triggering a pipeline from Azure DevOps.

Everything works well, when I am connected by RDP to the VM and it is maximized, all tests are performed well.
When the remote connection to the VM is established but the VM is minimized or I am not even connected by RDP to the virtual machine the tests are suddenly failing (directly at the start - the first menu item can not be clicked / is not found).

Code: Select all

[Error  ][Module]: Failed to wait for item to exist.<br/>Failed to find item 'ABC.NewF4'. Please check that your whitelist allows Ranorex to access the process.<br/>No element found for path '/contextmenu[@processname='ABC']/?/?/menuitem[@accessiblename='New...F4']' at step 'contextmenu[@processname='ABC']' after 63 attempts within 5s.
Summarized:
Virtual machine connected by RDP and mamimized: Working? YES
Virtual machine connceted by RDP and minimized in background: Working? NO
Virtual machine not connected by RDP: Working? NO

Do someone has a clue what to do here? I don´t understand that it works when I am connected to the VM and it is maximized and otherwise not...

Thank you for your help!

Best
BlindJones

BlindJones

Re: Problem when running Ranorex on a VM - only working maximized and connected

Post by BlindJones » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:45 am

Okay, after some googling I found this solution (which seems to work and keep the RDP session alive):

https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... lRDPbrspan

Can someone tell me what will happen if another user will connect to the VM? Will the session be lost then even when I executed the .bat - file before?

Thank you!

Best
BlindJones