Problem with licence server

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
WajdaW

Problem with licence server

Post by WajdaW » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi, I am using licence server which is in other network, I am connecting to it by VPN.
Problem is that sometimes my ranorex studio cannot find licence server, or when my VPN connection break I cannot use ranorex until licence server on distant machine is restarted.
Even if I reconnect to VPN I won't be able to use ranorex till server is restarted.
I have lost connection to VNP and because of that licence server, currently I have reconnected to VPN and can ping machine where server is installed but ranorex still says that there is no connection to server.

Only what comes to my mind is that maybe ranorex server instance for my ranorex is still running on server due to improper connection ending between server and ranorex on my machine.

Do you have any idea how to solve this?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem with licence server

Post by Support Team » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:04 pm

WajdaW wrote:Problem is that sometimes my ranorex studio cannot find licence server, or when my VPN connection break I cannot use ranorex until licence server on distant machine is restarted.
This rather sounds like the floating license gets locked and is therefore not available for a few minutes. My guess is that when you reconnect to the VPN, you get another IP address. The license server thinks that the license is still used by the old IP address and locks the license (for a couple of minutes), since the old IP address does not report in any more. To unlock the license you have to wait for approx. 5 minutes or restart the license server.

Could this be the problem? How many floating licenses do you have? Usually, the license server should hand you another floating license if available.

We actually did quite a bit of testing with lost and recovered connections. However, an IP change cannot be considered by the license server, sorry!

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

WajdaW

Post by WajdaW » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Yes, when I reconnect to VPN I probably get another IP address.
But shouldn't server unlock licence after those 5 minutes, when I lose connection once there is only one solution - restarting server.
I waited for sure at least half an hour but couldn't gain any licence.
I don't know how many licences we have on server.

5 minutes aren't long I could wait for an hour if is needed, but it's troublesome to tell every time our administrator when my connection is down to restart licence server since I don't have access to licence server...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi,

We tried to reproduce it and it is working as expected. After 5 minutes the license is free and can used by another user.
Could it be possible that only one license is registered on the license server? And maybe another person grabs the license when you try to reconnect?

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

WajdaW

Post by WajdaW » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:45 pm

It could be that.
I'll ask admin how many licences are there at server.

WajdaW

Post by WajdaW » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:53 pm

You are right Peter, we have only one floating licence on server. Sorry for my bothering.
Regards,

Vajda Vladimir

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi,

No problem. Good to hear that it is working now.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team