Problem with Reports

Ask general questions here.
jackrabbit

Problem with Reports

Post by jackrabbit » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:44 pm

I am trying to figure out how Ranorex handles Reports and it is very confusing. I am using version 5.2.2

Every time iI run a test, the Reports are generated in the bin\Debug folder. After a while this folder becomes HUGE with thousands of files.

I tried enabling Tools --> Options --> Tools --> Ranorex Report Viewer --> Automatically copy/move report files to the project reports directory

Why is it called move/copy? It actually always copies to report, so I end up with a HUGE Reports folder and a HUGE bin\debug folder ...

So I decided to redirect my reports to a sub-folder in bin\debug. In the properties of my test project, I enabled the "Report Enabled" checkbox and specified "log" as the Report File Directory.

Now when I compile, if creates a bin/debug/log folder, but every reports are still created in the bin\debug folder ... ARGHHHHH !!!

Is there a way to redirect every Reports to the Reports folder, or better yet to clean up all the older reports everytime I recompile my project. I NEVER inspected an older Report, I ALWAYS rely on the LATEST report generated. Why do I have to constantly clean up thousands of older reports that I never need ???

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Problem with Reports

Post by odklizec » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:11 pm

Hi,
jackrabbit wrote: So I decided to redirect my reports to a sub-folder in bin\debug. In the properties of my test project, I enabled the "Report Enabled" checkbox and specified "log" as the Report File Directory.

Now when I compile, if creates a bin/debug/log folder, but every reports are still created in the bin\debug folder ... ARGHHHHH !!!
I don't experience such a problem in 5.3.2? I'm too redirecting reports to a subdir ("Reports" in my case) and there are no copies left in bin/debug or release folder? So it's either 5.2.2 specific issue or there is another setting causing this problem?

As for deleting reports from redirected folder, what you can do is using pre-build command, like this:
PreBuild_Delete.png
The same approach you can use for deleting particular file or files. Eventually, clean-up entire content of debug/release folder before each build. Simple and effective solution ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:40 pm

I managed to get access to a computer with version 5.3.2, and it reacts exactly the same. Impossible to get rid of all those reports that fill in the bin/debug folder !!!

If it works on your computer, could you send me a small zipped project that I could run on my PC without any changes?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:49 am

Hi,

Here you go...
TestReport.zip
I have Automatic copy/move of report files to project reports dir unchecked.
Hope this helps?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:44 pm

I FOUND IT !!!

Using your test project, it worked fine, so I decided to start a new project similar to yours. I unchecked to copy/move to Report folder, in the global parameters I enabled to report with the "Reports" folder, I added the pre-build event to clean up the "Reports" folder and it worked !!!

I compared all the settings of my projet (that did not work) with you project and they were identical, yet my project always generated the reports directly in the bin/debug instead of the bin/debug/Reports folder.

If finally discovered why. If you open the test page and run any test it works, but if you select any Recording and run it, it doen not work !!! I alyways do my debugging from the Recording page so I always end up with Gigabytes of older reports in my bin/debug folder.

I retested this with version 5.3.2 and it does the same thing, I think this is a bug.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi jackrabbit,

I think you discussed that already in another forum thread with one of my colleagues.

http://www.ranorex.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 857#p32857

I'm wondering if disabling the setting “Generate replay reports" is a suitable workaround for you.

Regards,
Bernhard