problems with drop down menu using Recorder on Firefox

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
edxxgardo

problems with drop down menu using Recorder on Firefox

Post by edxxgardo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Hello,

I've been using Recorder in testing a web portal and I had a problem in recording a drop down menu on Firefox. I worked well on Chrome. The problem is that the Recorder select the group and it blocks in selecting the item from the list of items.

Any support will be appreciated,
Greetings

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: problems with drop down menu using Recorder on Firefox

Post by Support Team » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi,

Try to set the "Use Ensure Visible" of the correspodening item in your recording to false, because there is a known bug in Ranorex 2.2. You can find this in the properties of your recorded action.

But you can also select it by code.
Just track the Dropdown with SPY and add the element to your repository. Now you have the dropdown in your repository and you can use following code
repo.WebPage.SelectTagTestcolor.TagValue = "youritem";
to select your item.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Support Team

edxxgardo

Post by edxxgardo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks Peter,

I will try that and let you know. We are evaluating how good the software is before buying it.

Greetings,
Dario

edxxgardo

Post by edxxgardo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Hello again,
Ok, the problem was solved by just setting the "Use Ensure Visible" to false, great. Now, I have another problem with some tags IDs in the web page. Every time I select the item in the drop down menu, a new web page is shown where I need to fill in some input fields. Some of them have an icon where after clicking on it, a popup window is shown to select the desired date. I select the date and the field is filled in with the selected date. Recorder correctly select the item, but every time I replay back the recorded test it fails. I think that this is because the id change over and over every time I enter to the same page. The weird thing is that on Chrome it works, even on icons where after clicking on them, some input fields appear or dissapear as requested. Have a look at the Ranoxpath of the item mentioned above:

/dom[@caption~'^blabla\ -\ The\ portal\ t']/body/table/tbody/tr/td/table/tbody/tr[1]/td[2]/form/table/tbody/tr[2]/td/table/tbody/tr[@id='gmd:identificationInfo_1fa172a2-6403-408c-8e55-e3d33b67480c']/td/fieldset/table/tbody/tr[@id='gmd:date_cee434e2-d7d6-40b0-aef9-e161c9e379b1']/td/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/img[@id='_93_trigger']

As you see in the red part above, I checked the page source code and in fact the number changes continuosly. I spent a lot of time in trying different tools and when I saw Ranorex works well on Chrome I was so happy. I hope you can help me with Firefox, because I really need it works on this browser.
Thanks again for the support,
Dario

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi,

Try to find another unique attribute for the "tr", because there are more attributes than [@id=], maybe this will solve the problem.
For example, if there is an "tr" with a changing id, but the text stays the same, use the text attribute to identify this "tr".

See the following topic in the Ranorex User Guide for more info on RxPath:
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... xpath.html

Also watch our screencasts, the following shows what's possible with RxPath:
http://www.ranorex.com/support/screencasts.html

P.S.: Check your private message, Ron has already contacted you.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Support Team

edxxgardo

Post by edxxgardo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Hello Peter,

Sorry for the late and thanks for the support. I understand you point, but this still does not solve the issue.

I have hundreds of "td" tags like this:
<tr id="gmd:date_32346cb2-303a-44a9-b0bc-655eb84d5815" type="metadata">
If I need to manage all of them manually, I am going crazy. Through a different attribute like "id" seems to be very difficult, I tried. Again, on Chrome it works great, even on much more difficult items. I want to deal with the test, not with the tool (whatever it is) when testing, specially because this is a very though work to be done and time consuming.
Keep in touch,

Regards,

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi Dario,

i've found this thread in our forum, maybe this will help you.
http://www.ranorex.com/forum/how-to-sta ... t1184.html

In this thread there is also a problem with dynamic generated id's.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Support Team