Problems with Gantt Chart

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
mcs

Problems with Gantt Chart

Post by mcs » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi,

I am trying to automate tests for one of our apps which is Client/Server and its GUI is mainly a Gantt chart. When I try to use Spy to identify elements, it does correctly identify the parent as a Gantt form but it lists nearly all controls as menu items. Also, when using Spy to attempt to track individual items on the chart, the chart blinks like crazy, almost as if it's fighting Spy.
I've, also, tried doing a simple recording with the chart but, again, it blinks like crazy both on attempting to record and attempting to play back.
Is there something that I'm missing with Ranorex and Gantt charts? I would like to be able to automate interactions with the chart itself since that is what our users do... double-clicking on different shaped objects and such to bring up detail windows.

Thank you.

krstcs

Re: Problems with Gantt Chart

Post by krstcs » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi MCS,

Would it be possible for you to post a Ranorex Snapshot of the application you are testing? If so, you can find out more about snapshots here.

This issue with the chart flashing is probably due to how the chart container is coded. Ranorex's hooks into the DOM sometimes cause the application under test to refresh the drawing area. If the system is coded in a way that it updates for every event then anything Ranorex does to the drawing area can cause it to re-draw, which is the flashing you are seeing. Without seeing the application and working with it myself I wouldn't be able to help much, but I would guess that it would require a re-coding of the application to keep it from happening, and I doubt that would happen. Ranorex can't change their system since it needs to be able to hook into certain parts of the application under test in order to identify elements.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

mcs

Post by mcs » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi krstcs,

Thanks for your reply. I am uploading a snapshot of the app but I'm afraid that you're probably going to be correct with your assumption that it's going to be a lost cause...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mcs

Post by mcs » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:16 pm

It seems like the best I can do with my Gantt chart is to enable GDI capture for the form in Ranorex Spy. Unfortunately, what this gets me is a whole bunch of "RawText" items and not the actual objects in the form. Does anyone know how successful automated testing can be done using "RawText" items as opposed to objects?
Thanks for any help that anyone can provide or suggest...

mcs

Post by mcs » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:22 pm

Nevermind... found the Ranorex Blog, Automation of Legacy Applications with the GDI Capture Plug-In, which includes a sample. A bit outdated but it does give me a clue...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:54 am

Hi Mcs,

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance!

Regards,
Markus