Provide possibility to take screenshots in png format

Bug reports.
cxkf

Provide possibility to take screenshots in png format

Post by cxkf » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:35 pm

I would like to have the possibility to save all taken screenshots in png format.
At the moment all screenshots that are taken for the reports are saved as jpg in a very poor quality. Sometimes I can't even read the text on the screenshot.
I also think png should be the default for screenshots because jpg is not suitable for screenshots of applications.
Last edited by cxkf on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Provide possibility to take screensots in png format

Post by Support Team » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi,

Which methods are you using in order to get the screenshots (Report.Screenshot or Imaging.CaptureImage(...))?
If you want to get a detailed screenshot of an element you could create a screenshot of the specific element instead of a screenshot of the whole application or you could use the "CaptureImage" method in order to create a bitmap.

Regards,
Markus

cxkf

Post by cxkf » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:50 pm

I'm not using a particular method to take the screenshots. They are taken automatically when steps of my test cases fail. As I understand it these screenshots include the full screen so that you can see what went wrong. That's fine. But it doesn't make sense when the screenshots are taken in low quality jpg format. Only a lossless format like png makes sens. Bitmap doesn't make much sens either as it doesn't support compression.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi,

Would an additional option in Ranorex Studio which would allow you to change the quality of the "Tracing Screenshots" be a solution for you?
If yes, I will add the feature request to our internal system.

Regards,
Markus

cxkf

Post by cxkf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Such an option would be a workaround and definitely better than the current solution, but what's the problem with png?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi,

Because jpeg images do not need so much space, therefore it is the better solution for us.

Regards,
Markus

cxkf

Post by cxkf » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:03 am

screenshot.jpg
screenshot.png
Support Team wrote: Because jpeg images do not need so much space, therefore it is the better solution for us.
m(

No further questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:20 am

Hi,

The typical compression ration is much higher with jpegs and as the reports shouldn't be too large
jpeg is the best choice for us, for more information please take a look at the following link: link1
Here is another comparison of a screenshot of the desktop:
Windows.png
Windows.jpg
In respect of a better quality pngs would be really great but from our point of view (report size), jpeg is the better choice.

Regards,
Markus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cxkf

Post by cxkf » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:42 pm

Support Team wrote: The typical compression ration is much higher with jpegs and as the reports shouldn't be too large
jpeg is the best choice for us, for more information please take a look at the following link: link1
link1 wrote: JPEGs images were designed to make detailed photographic images as small as possible by removing information that the human eye won't notice. [...] is great for photographs, but the lossy compression means it's bad for logos and line drawings: Not only will they look fuzzy, but such images will also have a larger file-size compared to GIFs!
-> jpeg is great for photographs, not for screenshots
link2 wrote: JPEGs are best suited for continuous tone images like photographs or natural artwork; not so well on sharp-edged or flat-color art like lettering, simple cartoons, or line drawings.
-> not so well for typical screenshots
Support Team wrote: Here is another comparison of a screenshot of the desktop:
Windows.png
Windows.jpg
Of course png is not the best choice for images with continuous color changes, but I don't think this is the kind of screenshot that the average ranorex user has to deal with.
Wikipedia is with me: "By contrast, when storing images that contain text, line art, or graphics – images with sharp transitions and large areas of solid color – the PNG format can compress image data more than JPEG can. Additionally, PNG is lossless, while JPEG produces noticeable visual artifacts around high-contrast areas."
http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorial ... ages/3917/ is with me: "Regular Desktop Windows – If you need to screen capture a regular window on your screen, dialog boxes, Windows Explorer, DOS command prompt window, Google Maps or even splash screens – use the PNG format."
Support Team wrote: In respect of a better quality pngs would be really great but from our point of view (report size), jpeg is the better choice.
Please add an option to use png and let your (paying) customers decide which one they like better.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi,

I will add this feature request to our internal system.

Regards,
Markus

cxkf

Post by cxkf » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:05 pm

Support Team wrote: I will add this feature request to our internal system.
:D