Qt instrumentation problem

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
dman

Qt instrumentation problem

Post by dman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:07 am

Hi,

I need to access a Flex application embedded in a Qt widget.
I followed the indicated steps http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... lugin.html

Ranorex fails to instrument the Qt process though
Latest_Rx-QT-problerm.jpg
worth to mention, we use a custom build of Qt 4.6 and the message appears as soon as any elements (i.e. non Flex, pure Qt) are being tracked using the spy

now,
1. what does it imply having "enough privileges to access the process"? and
2. as our Qt version is "Qt Widgets: Qt version 4.5.3 or higher" - is there a way to check (without a doubt) whether the custom build we use is supported or not?

thank you!
D.

p.s. using Ranorex 5.3.2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Qt instrumentation problem

Post by Support Team » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:08 pm

Hello dman,

This messages usually means that Ranorex and the application under test are not started with the same user privileges.
Did you already try to start Ranorex as administrator?

Regards,
Bernhard

dman

Post by dman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi Bernhard,

as I investigated deeper the matter I have more info:
- the Qt elements of the main application are being identified (although the warning dialog is still displayed)
- the Qt element of the widget (plugin) loading the Flex application are also identified but nothing from the Flex area - the swf file is being loaded into Qt using the ActiveX control of IE
Also worth mentioning, the Flex application is also available (with small changes) running in a web browser - all elements are being perfectly identified when in IE.

As there is little instructions on what has to be done or whether something has to be done (in the case of Flex embedded in Qt controls) and I obviously need more help to solve this, would it help if I would turn this into a support case? (we are obviously fully paying customers incl. the corresponding support)

All the best,
D.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:31 pm

Hello dman,

Thank you for getting back to me. Do I understand you correct, the elements can be identified correctly, but you still get the instrumentation warning?

Sure, we can move this query into a support case.
It would be fantastic if you could make some Ranorex Snapshots from the different parts of your application and send it to [email protected] .

Thank you.

Regards,
Bernhard

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi Bernhard,

I think his problem is that Spy/recorder is not able to recognize elements of Flex application loaded inside QT element, while the same Flex is recognized OK inside IE.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi odklizec,

Thank you for your comment.
Normally, if the QTElement is available and if flash is hosted in a QAxWidget it should work.

Regards,
Bernhard

dman

Post by dman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:36 am

that is correct odklizec, the AUT is a complex C++ (Qt based) desktop application; its elements are identified correctly by Ranorex/Spy. My task is to access a Flex application loaded by means of a ( also C++ Qt based) plugin (i.e. loaded into a Qt widget); the Qt elements of the plugin are identified (which leads me to the conclusion that there is no instrumentation / version / etc... problem). In the Flex area of the plugin, elements are not identified.

@Bernhard thank you - I will open a support case for this.

Will keep you updated!
All the best,
D.

dman

Post by dman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:59 am

short update
the problem was solved by Ranorex by means of a fix in the application; fix which will be available in the next release (i.e. 5.4+)

the instrumentation of the flex application was not necessary anymore - the main, Qt application instrumentation was enough.

All the best & thank you!
D.

dman

Post by dman » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:26 am

last update: with version 5.4.1 all (Flex) embedded elements in the Qt widget are successfully identified.