QTP to Ranorex migration

Ask general questions here.
mayank9292

QTP to Ranorex migration

Post by mayank9292 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi,

We are using QTP for automation in our company and our framework is huge. But for cost effectiveness, we want to migrate to ranorex. So my questions are :

1. Is it possible to migrate from QTP to Ranorex
if (yes)
a. what are the risks.
b. what are the prerequisites.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: QTP to Ranorex migration

Post by odklizec » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid, QTP and Ranorex are completely different products and there is no way to convert the tests from QTP to Ranorex. At least not automatically. You will just have to recode them.

If your QTP test base is huge, I would recommend to keep the QTP tests as they are and start creating new tests in Ranorex. So you will end-up with static set of QTP-based tests and growing set of new Ranorex tests.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

mayank9292

Post by mayank9292 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. As QTP licensing is very high so we have decided to migrate and remove QTP.
So we are ready to rework. But if we go that way, then i just want to know any risks involved( losing information ) or what will be the prerequisites.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:59 pm

I'm afraid, it's hard to predict the risks without detailed knowledge of your actual QTP test set. Not to mention knowledge of your actual test process (how do you run your tests, integration with other tools, etc...).

My biggest worry would be that it might take too long to 'convert' all QTP tests to Ranorex. If the QTP tests are simple and mainly record-based, with no or minimal custom code, it might be relative easy to convert them to Ranorex (depending of the number of tests). If there is a lot of custom coding, you might end up with lengthy and painful process of conversion. And of course, if you are inexperienced with Ranorex, it might take you even longer to convert them in a reasonable time frame.

I would suggest you to install Ranorex and try to convert an easy QTP test. If it goes well, try to convert something more complicated. This should give you a rough impression of the time required to re-code all tests.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Deepak_Singh

Post by Deepak_Singh » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi Mayank,

I am working on both QTP and Ranorex.

As both the tools are different its not possible to migrate the code written in QTP to Ranorex, you will have to start fresh.

My suggestion continue with 1 license of QTP for maintenance and execution of your project and for new projects start with ranorex from core. And If you have ranorex experienced resources then start right away and if you are new then download the trial version, go through the guide and screencast.

It can be a little difficult who has done QTP QTP QTP and suddenly asked to swith to Ranorex, I am one of those cases :D

There will be many doubts but there are experienced members(Ranorex Gurus) like odklizec and krstcs who are very helpful.

Welcome to Ranorex.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:15 pm

Thanks Deepak! It's always nice to know that I'm helping people out. :D

I also came from QTP to Ranorex, although I had about 10 years of Java and C#.NET development in between.

Learn RegEx and XPath and it will help a lot with Ranorex.

And as Pavel and Deepak said, it's going to require a clean break (which can be very good anyway). I would also suggest keeping one QTP license for maintenance for a year, just so you can have time to switch over.
Shortcuts usually aren't...