Ranerox 8.3.1: Cannot Create New Project

Bug reports.
yyliu

Ranerox 8.3.1: Cannot Create New Project

Post by yyliu » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:39 am

Hi
In Ranerox 8.3.1, when I click on File->New->Solution...
I got this error.

Does anybody know how can I fix this error?

Code: Select all

System.ArgumentException: Absolute directory path 'Ranorex\RanorexStudio Projects' is invalid. Make sure it is absolute and does not contain one of the following characters: ': * ? | < > |'. The given path root 'Ranorex\' is not valid. Path root needs to be '<driveletter>:\\', '<DRIVELETTER>:\\' or network share int the form '\\hostname\' or '\\ipaddress\'.
---STACKTRACE---
System.ArgumentException: The given path root 'Ranorex\' is not valid. Path root needs to be '<driveletter>:\\', '<DRIVELETTER>:\\' or network share int the form '\\hostname\' or '\\ipaddress\'.
  Ranorex.Common.Types.PathRoot..ctor(CIString pathRoot) +0xa6
  Ranorex.Common.Types.PathRoot.ExtractFromString(String src) +0xb
  Ranorex.Common.Types.AbsoluteDirPath.FromString(String dirPath) +0x2a
System.ArgumentException: Absolute directory path 'Ranorex\RanorexStudio Projects' is invalid. Make sure it is absolute and does not contain one of the following characters: ': * ? | < > |'.
  Ranorex.Common.Types.AbsoluteDirPath.FromString(String dirPath) +0x6a
  Gui.Dialogs.CreateSolution.CreateSolutionViewModel..ctor() +0xa3
  ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Project.Commands.CreateNewSolution.Run() +0x7
  ICSharpCode.Core.Presentation.CommandWrapper.Execute(Object parameter) +0x47
  MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource,Boolean userInitiated) +0x4a
  System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg) +0x18
  System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback,Object args,Int32 numArgs) +0x77
  System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source,Delegate callback,Object args,Int32 numArgs,Delegate catchHandler) +0x2

---ORIGINAL STACKTRACE---
System.ArgumentException: The given path root 'Ranorex\' is not valid. Path root needs to be '<driveletter>:\\', '<DRIVELETTER>:\\' or network share int the form '\\hostname\' or '\\ipaddress\'.
   at Ranorex.Common.Types.PathRoot..ctor(CIString pathRoot)
   at Ranorex.Common.Types.PathRoot.ExtractFromString(String src)
   at Ranorex.Common.Types.AbsoluteDirPath.FromString(String dirPath)
System.ArgumentException: Absolute directory path 'Ranorex\RanorexStudio Projects' is invalid. Make sure it is absolute and does not contain one of the following characters: ': * ? | < > |'.
   at Ranorex.Common.Types.AbsoluteDirPath.FromString(String dirPath)
   at Gui.Dialogs.CreateSolution.CreateSolutionViewModel..ctor()
   at ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Project.Commands.CreateNewSolution.Run()
   at ICSharpCode.Core.Presentation.CommandWrapper.Execute(Object parameter)
   at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)
   at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranerox 8.3.1: Cannot Create New Project

Post by odklizec » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:22 am

Hi,

Have you tried to completely uninstall and then reinstall Ranorex? Also, do you have Ranorex installed locally? Ranorex does not support running either studio or tests from network/shared drives.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

yyliu

Post by yyliu » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:16 am

Hi,
This is a new installation of Ranerox, there is no previous Ranerox installation on this PC. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Ranerox 8.3.1 again. The same error occurs.

My OS is Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise (x64) Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.471) with latest updates from Microsoft.

In the Tools->Options, under General->Projects and solutions, I set the Default project location to C:\Ranorex\TestProjs

Is there a solution to this problem?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:57 am

Hi,

Well, I just tried it (with exactly the same path) and it works for me? I'm using Win 10 enterprise too, just version 1809 10.0.17763 Build 17763. It works both if Studio is started as administrator or normal user. Are you sure the path is accessible and writable? It sounds to me, that the path is either blocked (antivirus, GOP) or there is something corrupted on you PC? Have you tried the same on another PC? And what happens, if you keep original default path (C:\Users\username\Documents\Ranorex\RanorexStudio Projects)?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

yyliu

Post by yyliu » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:02 am

Hi,
I have solved this issue. In the Windows file manager, goto Quick access and check the location for Documents folder is valid.
Please see the screenshot below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.