Ranorex 4.1.0 Recording Module Duration Column

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
AccidentReport

Ranorex 4.1.0 Recording Module Duration Column

Post by AccidentReport » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:31 am

I may be going mad here but I just installed Ranorex 4.1.0 on a new PC and in the recording module it no longer shows the duration column. Has this been removed, hidden...or am I just missing something?

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex 4.1.0 Recording Module Duration Column

Post by krstcs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:19 pm

The Duration column was removed in 4.1.0.

You can still find the Duration value in the properties view for the selected step.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

AccidentReport

Post by AccidentReport » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:19 am

Yeah I found the duration in the properties field it's just a pain to have to change it in there instead of simply in the list like before. The recorded tests play too fast so i need to adjust every single action. I just don't see why it's been removed!

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:44 am

You should still be able to change the duration of selected recording steps without the need to change each step separatedly. Just select the steps you want to change their duration (via ctrl+mouse click) in recording table. Then go to the Properties and here find the Duration attribute. Then simply insert a duration value you want to use and confirm it by Enter. All selected steps should inherit the same value. I did not test it with 4.1 but it worked that way in 4.0 and before. Hope this helps?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

pfx

Post by pfx » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:22 am

Well this is definitely a step backwards and I totally regret upgrading. :( :( :(

The properties grid is all well and good but... it means you have to click each item to see the duration value, where previously I could see how much time was allocated to each step and make changes directly. In addition to this previously I would barely ever need the properties grid visible and now I pretty much have to have it always docked which just takes a lot of real estate.

There is no point is telling me how I can dock the pane's etc. etc. I know how to manage the workspace, and no point telling me about multiple selection for property changes, I know how to do all of this, I am just not sure why you would want to remove the column which I would think is a fundamental user interface item which users have gotten used to using. If the decision had to be made to remove it then fine, but why not make it a configurable item, surely it wouldn't have taken that long to implement such a simple option.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:39 pm

Hello pfx,

We removed the column in Ranorex version 4.1. because it was misleading for many of our customers.
As you already mentioned correctly, the possibility to change the values still exists.

Regards,
Robert