Ranorex 6.0 - Search and Replace

Bug reports.
krstcs

Ranorex 6.0 - Search and Replace

Post by krstcs » Tue May 17, 2016 6:29 pm

The first time you use "Search and replace" (after install of Ranorex) it opens the file but does not scroll to and show the found term if using "Look in" set to "whole project" or "whole solution".

After the first use it works correctly, even on subsequent restarts of Ranorex. Not sure if this is really a bug or an artifact of the install process or my environment.

In addition, the Search menu and the key-combos to bring up the search/replace dialog do not work if you don't have an editable text file open. Search should be available at all times due to the need to search the whole project or solution without first having a file open.

Edit for clarity.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex 6.0 - Search and Replace

Post by odklizec » Wed May 18, 2016 11:15 am

I agree with what Kelly posted. And if I can add something, I don't really like the fact we need to press Ctrl+F shortcut twice to invoke the Search&Replace dialog. It would be nice to have an option in settings, to disable the simplified Search box and open directly the Search&Replace dialog.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

wlijo

Post by wlijo » Wed May 18, 2016 1:07 pm

krstcs wrote:The first time you use "Search and replace" (after install of Ranorex)
Hi, I'm sorry but I never saw this option, can you tell me where you find it?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed May 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately, the bug was not reproducible after performing a new Ranorex 6.0 installation. Even the first search worked fine on my machine. If this issue occurs again, please do let me know.

In regard to the other issues, please note that we can consider feature requests only by email ([email protected]).

The key combinations for opening the search dialog required an opened text file in previous versions, too.
What has changed in Ranorex 6.0 is that STRG+F opens a search bar that is only valid for the current document. If required, you could open the Search and Replace dialog directly with STRG+R.

I hope this information will help you.

Sincerely,
Johannes

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed May 18, 2016 2:40 pm

As I said, I'm not sure it wasn't an artifact of something else. No problem.

As for the other issues, search functionality in any other IDE is available without having specific types of files open, including both VS and SharpDevelop 3.2 and 4.4, which means Ranorex purposefully removed a feature for no reason.

This is a bug and should be fixed without needing a feature request.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri May 20, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi Kelly,

I can see your point and added the feature to our internal bug tracking system. This topic will be discussed internally by our product management.

Currently, we do not know if and when this feature will be implemented. This depends on various factors. Nevertheless, all reported bugs and feature requests are documented in the release notes, with every new version release of Ranorex.

Sincerely,
Johannes