Ranorex 6.2 - No permission to access solution

Bug reports.
ablang_58

Ranorex 6.2 - No permission to access solution

Post by ablang_58 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:13 pm

Background:
Running Virtual machines on WES7.
Was running Ranorex 5.4.4 on 2 VMs looking on a common, shared drive containing the Ranorex solution. EX: VM1 and VM2 running 5.4.4 on the local C: drive. Both look to the shared H: drive for the Ranorex solution.
This was working fine on 5.4.4 and after upgrading to 5.4.6 it continued to operate as expected. Upgraded to 6.2.1 but when I tried to open the solution I receive:
"You don't have the permission to access this file: H:\OBT-7200\VirtualDM\VirtualDM.rxsln.
I tried reloading 6.2.1 with no luck, same issue.
If I move the solution from the H: drive to the local C: drive, Ranorex 6.2.1 will open the solution. Even tried moving the "converted" solution, from 5.4.6 to 6.2.1, on the local drive back to the H:. It still would not open due to permission issues.
Please let me know if there is something new in 6.2 which I need to set,change and or delete?

Regards,
Allan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krstcs

Re: Ranorex 6.2 - No permission to access solution

Post by krstcs » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:44 pm

If you take the time to read the User Guide (http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-guide-20.html) it clearly states that loading/running solutions from remote shares is not supported and may cause issues. You should not do this. From the User Guide > Lesson 1:
Note: Because of possible performance and security impacts, projects should not reside on a network drive (neither should Ranorex itself be installed on a network drive). It's recommended to use a version control system (VCS) instead.
**** The solution and all associated files must be on the LOCAL FILE SYSTEM. ****

This is why it works when you move it to your local system C: drive, but not when it is on the share.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

ablang_58

Post by ablang_58 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:49 pm

One must work with what one has. I do not have access to a Version Control System. I am doing GREAT things with Ranorex so I guess my only option is to stay with 5.4.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:26 pm

The issue you have with running things on a network share is the same with all versions of Ranorex, 6.0 just started enforcing it more heavily because of new functionality. You should NOT be using any part of Ranorex from a network share, at all. Just because you aren't seeing problems now doesn't mean you won't, or that there aren't other problems going on that you just don't see yet.

As for version control systems, there are all sorts out there that can be run locally (on your development system or a local server) and don't cost anything (git, for example). You should be using one, regardless of any other concerns, period. You are developing software, and there are certain tools that must be employed in software development, one of which is a VCS. Without one, there will eventually be a day when code is lost or overwritten and you won't be able to recover without redoing all the work that had been done. With a VCS you won't have to waste that time.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:34 pm

This is actually a problem related to the .NET 4.0 Framework that Ranorex is built on. With Ranorex 6.0 we switched to .NET version 4.0 completely. By default, the 4.0 .NET Framework has tighter security constraints, denying access to file shares.

You can change the security settings, but as krstcs pointed out, we do not support projects residing on a network share - nor should you rely on network shares in my opinion.

If the project on the network share itself is just a copy that you don't actually edit, I would just create another copy to the local drive.

If the project on the network share is your real project you are working on, I would immediately start using a source control system - otherwise you risk breaking your project, simply due to network outages, editing conflicts, or security problems. And we will not be able to fix your project - you may end up loosing all your work.
After all, that is just my recommendation - but you have been warned :-)

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:26 am

Hi,

One more vote for version control system! You (or anyone who is preventing you to use one) are really playing with unexploded grenade ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Stub

Post by Stub » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:35 am

:shock: Another +1 for using source control. I cannot imagine not doing so, even on my little home projects where I use the compiler's built-in GIT system.