Ranorex 7.0 Startpage Problems

Bug reports.
odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex 7.0 Startpage Problems

Post by odklizec » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:29 pm

I need to agree with Vaughan here. I'm experiencing the same issue on some VMs and yes, I have "Enhanced Protected Mode" disabled. And the links on start page worked well prior 7.x. So it must be something 7.x related that caused these links to stop working.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

qwertzu

Post by qwertzu » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:42 am

Hi,

Ranorex Studio uses (as far as I know) the web engine of Intenet Explorer for the start page.
That´s why the IE security settings may influence any action taken on this page.

regards,
qwertzu

Vaughan.Douglas

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:03 pm

qwertzu wrote:Hi,

Ranorex Studio uses (as far as I know) the web engine of Intenet Explorer for the start page.
That´s why the IE security settings may influence any action taken on this page.

regards,
qwertzu
This is beyond my pay grade, so let me know if I veer off into fiction. If IE is being deprecated why would they build it on IE security settings? What suggestion would I make over at Uservoice to achieve a solution that doesn't require my organization to reconfigure their security settings?
Doug Vaughan

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:13 pm

There are some issues with moving to another browser engine:

1. Ranorex is built on SharpDevelop 4 (SD4), so they are restricted to only what SD4 supports. Even VS 2017 still uses the IE Engine as it's basis for the front page. Until Edge gets more stable, this will continue to be the case.
2. IE is still supported, even on Win 10. Even though that support is eventually (supposedly) coming to a close, it is still there.
3. Putting in a different engine, even if it is possible with SD4, might be difficult because they would likely need to install a browser on the system, in addition to everything else that Ranorex installs, and there may be licensing or other issues that prevent it.

So, it isn't as simple as just saying "Use something else!"
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Vaughan.Douglas

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:47 pm

krstcs wrote:There are some issues with moving to another browser engine:

1. Ranorex is built on SharpDevelop 4 (SD4), so they are restricted to only what SD4 supports. Even VS 2017 still uses the IE Engine as it's basis for the front page. Until Edge gets more stable, this will continue to be the case.
2. IE is still supported, even on Win 10. Even though that support is eventually (supposedly) coming to a close, it is still there.
3. Putting in a different engine, even if it is possible with SD4, might be difficult because they would likely need to install a browser on the system, in addition to everything else that Ranorex installs, and there may be licensing or other issues that prevent it.

So, it isn't as simple as just saying "Use something else!"
Sure, that's why I asked for suggestions on what I could request. "Use something else" or "Fix this thing" doesn't generally go over well as feature requests. I've also got VS 2017 and it does not seem to suffer the same issues, so might there be something about how my organization is handling these two applications that allows one to work and the other to not work?

Why are the IE security settings impacting Ranorex 7.x in a way that it didn't on Ranorex 6.x?
Doug Vaughan

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:38 pm

As far as why VS and RX 6.X work, but 7 doesn't, I don't know. I know they added some things to the scripts for 7.X that weren't there in 6.X and aren't in VS, so maybe those scripts are the issue? But only under a very specific set of circumstances?

I haven't seen the issue yet. I'm on W10 Pro with an admin level account, so I don't have any enhanced security issues with IE. :?:
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Vaughan.Douglas

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:01 pm

krstcs wrote:As far as why VS and RX 6.X work, but 7 doesn't, I don't know. I know they added some things to the scripts for 7.X that weren't there in 6.X and aren't in VS, so maybe those scripts are the issue? But only under a very specific set of circumstances?

I haven't seen the issue yet. I'm on W10 Pro with an admin level account, so I don't have any enhanced security issues with IE. :?:
I've got Win 10 Enterprise and I'm likewise an admin on my system. However the security settings are all set by the group policy and there is an arduous exception process to get something changed on an individual basis. I'm just looking for ways to get everyone to play nice while keeping corporate assets secure.

I know there are other organizations that are facing similar issues with Ranorex and are also unwilling to reduce their security profile. I can't say I even know what "enhanced security" does or if changing it introduces any actual risk.
Doug Vaughan

uzaba

Post by uzaba » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Was this ever resolved? I do not see anything under any recent release notes, but wanted to confirm with the rest of those on this thread in case a proper workaround (not changing my security settings) was found.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Hi, nope, this problem has not been resolved. It’s clearly something security related. In my case, the start page does not work on one VM from 4. I tried to find the difference in VM settings but but I did not find the right one. But honestly, I don’t care much about it. So I was probably not very thorough in my search ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration