Ranorex 7.2.0 exe Signature corrupt or invalid

Bug reports.
albytester

Ranorex 7.2.0 exe Signature corrupt or invalid

Post by albytester » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:54 pm

When attempting to download the Ranorex 7.2.0 exe file from the download-archive, my browser (IE 11) identifies:

"The signature of this program is corrupt of invalid."

I downloaded the Ranorex 7.2.0.zip from the download-archive. After unzipping and executing the setup.exe all of the Ranorex application are returning the below error:

"A referral was returned from the server"

Looking at both of the digital signatures in the setup.exe details, both signature state:

"One of the countersignatures is not valid. The file may have been altered"

When reviewing the certificate general information

"The timestamp signature and/or certificate could not be verified or is malformed."

I installed both certificates and am still receiving the " A referral was returned from the server" on all Ranorex executable files

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex 7.2.0 exe Signature corrupt or invalid

Post by krstcs » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Please try downloading and installing the EXE file instead of the ZIP file and see if there is any difference. Generally, it is preferable to install from the Ranorex-X.Y.Z.exe file on the download page instead of using the ZIP.

It should also never be required to manually install a certificate for Ranorex applications to install. There have been no other reports on the forums of this type of issue. My guess, given the info: this is likely a corrupted ZIP or your download was corrupted somehow.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:35 pm

I just downloaded both the *.exe and *.zip file and checked all signatures. They all look ok to me.
Could it be that your certificate store is out of date and that some root certificates from trusted root CAs are missing? Usually, those should be updated with Windows Update.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

albytester

Post by albytester » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:26 pm

ahoisl wrote:I just downloaded both the *.exe and *.zip file and checked all signatures. They all look ok to me.
Could it be that your certificate store is out of date and that some root certificates from trusted root CAs are missing? Usually, those should be updated with Windows Update.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team
Alex, I spoke with our helpdesk and explained the problem. They asked that we submit a ticket to them as we are on managed systems. I am also going to install a trial version of the 7.2.0 on a non-managed workstation. Thank you for the quick response. I will provide an update as soon as I have one from my helpdesk.

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:45 pm

My opinion, so take it for what it cost you:

Since you are a software developer (you are developing .NET-based test automation applications using Ranorex), you should be local admin on the system just like any other developer. There are situations where you may need to run Ranorex tests as an administrator in order to ensure accurate element identification and interaction with the System Under Test (SUT). If this is a problem for your organization, then they may not fully understand the scope of work you are doing, and you may need to educate them on the situation. This can be a painful process, but it will be worth it in the end.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

albytester

Post by albytester » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:11 pm

ahoisl wrote:I just downloaded both the *.exe and *.zip file and checked all signatures. They all look ok to me.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team
Alex,

Ranorex 7.2 is successfully installed on my workstation. I have one more workstation to get this installed on. Working on that this week. My help desk had to update the global root certificates on my local machine.