Ranorex 8.0 Design = bad usability

Ask general questions here.
arutscheidt

Ranorex 8.0 Design = bad usability

Post by arutscheidt » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:52 pm

Hello there,

is it possible to change back to the old design? Especially to old colors?

The new design confuses my eyes with black borders and bright contents, so that I cannot concentrate for a longer time.
I can not even recognize buttons and text in the toolbar, because the contrast is so bad.

When I first opened RX-Studio 8.0, I thought there is an error with my directories (also in the tool bar), because now there is a big red X in it.
It took some time to recognize it is your new logo :?

Just because klicky-bunti-MS makes its Studio unreadable and "cool" it may be not very userfriendly nor a good example.
However, Visual Studio can be set to a bright design.

Please don't let Ranorex become "cool" and "fresh". Just keep it usable and intuitiv.

Thanks in advance

A. Rutscheidt

qwertzu

Re: Ranorex 8.0 Design = bad usability

Post by qwertzu » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:37 pm

hi arutscheidt,

I really like the new design and in my opinion the usability doesn't suffer from the last changes.
Yes, sure, changes on UI graphics on a software most times look inconvenient on first sight, but as soon as you get used to it and you take a look at the old graphics again, you are glad about the changes.
However, you can always leave a feature request on the UserVoice platform in order to suggest changes.

regards, qwertzu

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:13 pm

I have not updated to 8.0.0 yet, I'm waiting on 8.0.1, so I haven't seen the changes.

However, I will say that there have been numerous studies about both usability and eye-health that have shown that light-text on dark-background is better than dark-text on light-background, when dealing with computer monitors. The issue is usually around the amount of light that the screen is projecting at the user's eyes.

I feel that a more Visual Studio-like approach would be better, where you can change the whole theme to what you want. Of course mine is one of the dark ones, so...
Shortcuts usually aren't...

arutscheidt

Post by arutscheidt » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Unfortunately all of the studies don't ask people like me.

When reading in bed I make my display brighter instead of darker, even if the room lights are off. I need bright background to be comfortable.
Even, if studies have opposite results. I asked around and I am not alone.

So maybe just two different skins would be great. We do not need to totally customize every buttons color, just light and dark.

Regards
Using Ranorex Studio 8.0.1

Stub

Post by Stub » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:41 am

I haven't upgraded to Ranorex v8 yet either (v7.2.1 here). I'm personally all in favour of a dark theme, so I'm looking forward to that upgrade! But I know that on an MSDN account we use for our build machines the VS theme colour keeps changing. Some folks like a light theme, others the dark theme. Since I do most of the build machine maintenance I keep changing it to a dark theme whenever it (occasionally) changes back to light! :D Reading this it seems there isn't a choice in Ranorex v8? That surprises me.

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Well, honestly, what they've done is a good theme, but I agree that it should be configurable. Like VS, the theme should also save the code coloring as well. Right now it's dark UI with light code/suite/module areas, so not consistent.
Shortcuts usually aren't...