Ranorex 8.2.1 Can't Find Objects in Chrome on Server 2012 R2

Bug reports.
jarrettmk

Ranorex 8.2.1 Can't Find Objects in Chrome on Server 2012 R2

Post by jarrettmk » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:46 pm

I am setting up my CI/CD pipeline and running my tests on a Remote Agent (RanorexRemoteAgent-4.0.0.msi) installed on Windows Server 2012 R2 running Chrome Version 69.0.3497.100 (Official Build) (64-bit).

I have ensured the extension is properly installed and that my tests work in Chrome locally. However, when I try to run them on the Remote Agent every test times out failing to find any elements. I thought maybe it was my Whitelist so I removed everything from it and that still didn't help. I'm not sure what else to do to troubleshoot elements not being found. The tests are running fine in Firefox. I cannot figure out how to install the Internet Explorer extension with just installing the Remote Agent so I haven't attempted IE yet.
Jarrett Karyshyn
Quality Assurance & Automation Engineer
USA - EST (UTC−05:00)/EDT (UTC−04:00)

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex 8.2.1 Can't Find Objects in Chrome on Server 2012 R2

Post by odklizec » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:55 am

Hi,

In my opinion, you need to install Ranorex on target system and instrument all browsers before using remote execution? Upcoming Ranorex 8.3 will automatically instrument browsers, after using OpenBrowser action. But as of now, the browsers must be instrumented manually.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

McTurtle

Post by McTurtle » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:21 am

Hi jarrettmk,

Does the test work if you copy it over to the remote machine and run it manually? Chrome instrumentation issues are normally resolved by a re-install of Ranorex and Chrome. Please also try this.

The IE extension does not need to be installed separately, no instrumentation is needed. If you have installed Ranorex on the remote machine, then you should already see the add-on under "Manage add-ons" as Ranorex.Plugin.TridentIpc.RanorexAddon.

Regards,
McTurtle

Broadnick
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by Broadnick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi jarrettmk,

I experienced the same issue with the Chrome extension and here is how I solved it:

NOTE : Be sure to be log as a full windows administrator
1. Uninstall Chrome
2. Uninstall Ranorex and his remote agent
3. Delete all remaining directories that are connected to Chrome or Ranorex (eg user/??/AppData/??)
4. RESTART THE COMPUTER
5. Use CCLEANER or any other tool to clean the registry.
6. Reinstall Chrome
7. Reinstall Ranorex Studio
8. RESTART THE COMPUTER
9. Use Ranorex Instrumentation Tool to add the Chrome Extension
10. Reinstall the Ranorex Agent

I am not sure that all these steps are really necessary to solve the issue, but for me it was the only way to success. :D
Hoping it helps you.