Ranorex 9.3 not inputting IME input into Chrome

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
MartinMiddel

Ranorex 9.3 not inputting IME input into Chrome

Post by MartinMiddel » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:13 pm

Hello,

We have been using Ranorex to test the IME handling in our web-based editor, it has been working great for the last year or so, but lately, we noticed that Japanese and Chinese is not correctly being inserted into Chrome. This seems to coincide with the 9.3 release of Ranorex. When typing by ourselves, all goes great, we see the IME being activated and we are typing in Japanese. However, when Ranorex types, the IME indicator in the taskbar turns to 'IME is disabled', and Ranorex types in the Latin alphabet. This is only in Chrome, I see no issues running the exact same test in Firefox or Edge. These tests used to work, they started failing around the Ranorex 9.3 upgrade. I have tried to downgrade Ranorex to 9.2, but that caused a number of version-mismatch issues preventing me from running those tests.

I attached a screen recording of what happened. Observe that initially, we are in katakana mode, but as soon as Ranorex starts typing, the IME icon turns into the circle-with-a-cross. In Chinese, that same happens, but the icon in the taskbar does not change. Is anyone experiencing a similar problem? Does anyone know a fix? This is blocking our IME tests using Ranorex right now...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex 9.3 not inputting IME input into Chrome

Post by odklizec » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:40 am

Hi,

Looking in 9.3.0 "What's new", there appears to be an IME related bug fix?
Fixed a potential Ranorex Studio crash when using the IME in the new recording dialog
While it may not necessarily be a reason of your issue, I would definitely try to downgrade to 9.2.1. You should still be able to get the last working 9.2.x version of your solution (before you updated it with 9.3) from source control of your choice. Eventually, there should be zipped 9.2.x backup copy of the solution, right in the solution directory.

At next, you should definitely create an official support ticket:
https://www.ranorex.com/support-query/
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

MartinMiddel

Re: Ranorex 9.3 not inputting IME input into Chrome

Post by MartinMiddel » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:11 pm

I finally managed to get some time to install Ranorex on another machine. I installed 9.2 there, and I can repro the issue. It does not seem to be related to ranorex, but rather to a recent windows update. I will file a support ticket for that. In the meantime, I will have to disable our tests in Chrome, which I do not prefer at all.

Thanks for the help!