Ranorex administrative privileges

Ask general questions here.
Hamed.S

Ranorex administrative privileges

Post by Hamed.S » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:55 pm

Hallo,
Currently I am facing following problem:
We are going to use Ranorex Agent on a Windows 10 Machine, but unluckily I have no administrative privileges.
According to my research, it is NOT possible to run Ranorex Agent without the proper privileges but I have found a non technical workaround for that problem.

Now the remaining problem and question is, if there is any need for administrative privileges on the machine that runs Ranorex Studio.

My idea is basically to work with a non admin account on a machine with Ranorex Studio and use an other account with the right privileges to run Ranorex Agent. Something like that.. more or less :D

Thanks in advance
sincerely
Hamed

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ranorex administrative privileges

Post by Support Team » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Hello Hamed,

I’m afraid there’s currently no way to start the Ranorex Agent without administrative privileges due to the following reasons (independent of the operating system):
  • UIAccess (for example, this is needed for automating Universal Windows Platform Apps)
  • Execution of mobile tests (especially for instrumentation of apps during runtime)
  • Memory access and data exchange between the Ranorex Studio and Agent
There’s a possibility that the Ranorex Agent can be started without admin rights in the future. This also depends on how many users request such a functionality. I would suggest voting for the corresponding feature request on our Uservoice Platform. The more users vote for a feature, the more likely it will be considered for implementation.

In general, Ranorex Studio does not require administrator rights. Administrator rights are only required for automating applications which themselves run with administrator rights. Additionally, administrator rights may be required for installing Ranorex and automating system dialogs/applications (depending on the local security settings).

I hope this information will help you.

Best Regards,
Johannes

rappeldoorn

Post by rappeldoorn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi Johannes,

We have also a problem with administrator rights with Ranorex on a Windows10 workstation.

When we run a recording module, then there is no problem at all, but when we run the same recording module within the Testsuite then we get a popup with the message that Ranorex must run as administrator.
That is verry odd because in the header off Ranorex you can see that Ranorex is already running under Administror.

Please look at the attachemend.

Please help us out

Kind regards Rob Appeldoorn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:25 pm

This notification usually pops up on Win 8 and 10 when you start Ranorex using the integrated debugger and the debugger cannot attach to the started process because of Windows security rights.

There are usually three ways on how to not get that dialog:
  1. Start Ranorex Studio as administrator
  2. Not use the debugger (see here on how to switch the debugger on/off)
  3. If you are not automating Windows store apps, disable the Ranorex advanced setting "Use UiaLauncher to elevate privileges for processes started by tools" (see here). This will reduce the security privileges the automating process is started with
You said that you already started Ranorex Studio as Administrator? What happens when that dialog pops up and you hit restart - does it work after that?

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

Florian22

Post by Florian22 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:39 am

I also not a big fan of using a machine with admin privilege or grand admin rights everytime I run it.
I would be happy to see a change here in the future.

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:45 pm

Florian22 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:39 am
I also not a big fan of using a machine with admin privilege or grand admin rights everytime I run it.
I would be happy to see a change here in the future.
Unfortunately, this is not a Ranorex limitation, but a limitation of the Windows operating system and the debugger, respectively.
Please, see my previous post on how to avoid the need for admin privileges, thank you!

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

johnsonmax007

Post by johnsonmax007 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 am

Windows have upgraded its UAC from the days of Vista and 7. In old days of XP and others it was relatively easy to do this but now you need to contact your administrator to do it. A bit of letdown but still a security feature none the less.
Resource: https://validedge.com/steam-missing-file-privileges/

Danscorpio13

Post by Danscorpio13 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:29 pm

Hi

I was trying to find a solution for Insufficient privileges issue in this forum as I couldn't find any solution on the Ranorex site.

Both,Our application and Ranorex run as admin but I'm still getting the Insufficient privilege warning when tried click on a Ok button in a warning dialog.

Appreciate if someone could help with a solution.

Warn Win32

Ranorex can’t identify UI elements in the automated process because of insufficient privileges. Start both with the same privileges, preferably as an administrator.
Process: 'csrss' (pid 684)
(This message is only shown once per report.)

Many Thanks
Dan

Vega

Post by Vega » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:17 pm

Hi Danscorpio13,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but csrss seems to be unrelated to your test. This is a Client/Server Run-Time Subsystem for windows and is very likely unrelated.

May I ask if you are using the whitelisting feature in Ranorex? If not I would highly recommend it:
hope this helps

Danscorpio13

Post by Danscorpio13 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:41 pm

Hi Vega,

Thank you for your Response.

The issue was that the main application was calling another app to Import a file which did not have admin rights.

It didn't end up how I expected, but manage to find a workaround.

Many Thanks