Ranorex Agent fails to execute, Runtime Error

Bug reports.
corissa

Ranorex Agent fails to execute, Runtime Error

Post by corissa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Hello,

I am looking for some help with the Ranorex Agent I am using, as it seems to be broken after I updated my primary machine to Ranorex 7.0

Primary machine: Windows 10, Ranorex 7.0 with full license
Test machine: Windows 8, Ranorex Agent (downloaded fresh this morning) with Runtime Floating License

Behavior: I have experienced this behavior since I updated to Ranorex 7.0 last week, and cannot run tests on my test machine but must use my primary machine instead. My primary machine can run all of the tests within the suite, no problem.

My test machine fails test execution before it has a chance to even start the test. This has been labeled as "Test Execution failed. Test suite expected runtime 7.0 but no runtime was installed." Previously I was getting the error, "Test Execution failed. Test suite expected runtime 7.0 but has runtime 6.2.0.1 " and so I uninstalled Ranorex Agent from the test machine, and reinstalled. Then I got rid of the license on the test machine, and reinstalled that.

I'm not sure what to do next to troubleshoot, and I need help so my test machine will work again. Thanks so much for any information you can provide. Please let me know if there is any more info you could use from me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krstcs

Re: Ranorex Agent fails to execute, Runtime Error

Post by krstcs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Did you install the NEW Agent for 7.0 on the test system? The new agent is version 2.0.4, while the old one for 6.X was version 1.0.55. The 6.X agent will not work with 7.0 Ranorex.

https://www.ranorex.com/free-trial/
Shortcuts usually aren't...

corissa

Post by corissa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:55 pm

krstcs wrote:Did you install the NEW Agent for 7.0 on the test system? The new agent is version 2.0.4, while the old one for 6.X was version 1.0.55. The 6.X agent will not work with 7.0 Ranorex.

https://www.ranorex.com/free-trial/
Yeah, it is running Ranorex Agent 2.0.4 with a Floating Runtime License, which is why I'm confused as to why it says there is no runtime installed.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:58 pm

I would send an email directly to [email protected] or [email protected] (if you are in NA). It will be faster to get support directly from Ranorex that way.

corissa

Post by corissa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:01 pm

krstcs wrote:I would send an email directly to [email protected] or [email protected] (if you are in NA). It will be faster to get support directly from Ranorex that way.
Thanks, will do! Appreciate your thoughts, as always.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:03 pm

You're welcome, although I don't feel like I helped much! :D

Oh, also, did you try doing a full clean install on the remote system?

1. Uninstall Ranorex and Ranorex Agent.
2. Reboot.
3. Reinstall.

Maybe there's just something wrong with the prerequisites? If that doesn't work, you might try reinstalling the .NET SDK for the version you are using.

corissa

Post by corissa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:48 pm

krstcs wrote:You're welcome, although I don't feel like I helped much! :D

Oh, also, did you try doing a full clean install on the remote system?

1. Uninstall Ranorex and Ranorex Agent.
2. Reboot.
3. Reinstall.

Maybe there's just something wrong with the prerequisites? If that doesn't work, you might try reinstalling the .NET SDK for the version you are using.
I did email Support, and have not yet heard back. I did also uninstall and reinstall Ranorex Agent, but I did not reinstall Ranorex Studio on the test machine since I don't think I need it. (I'm only using the test machine to run the tests, not to make any)

I'll look into reinstalling .NET SDK and let you know what happens! Thanks again! :)

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:46 pm

corissa wrote:but I did not reinstall Ranorex Studio on the test machine since I don't think I need it. (I'm only using the test machine to run the tests, not to make any)
Wait, don't reinstall the .NET Framework, it won't help. You have to install the Ranorex Runtime for 7.0, i.e. the Ranorex Studio setup, which also includes the runtime. There is no separate setup for the runtime, but you can deselect Studio in the installer in case you won't need it.

FYI: The agent just provides the means to be contacted by Ranorex Studio, start tests, and convey back the results. It can work with different Ranorex Runtime versions.
However, if you compile your test with Ranorex 7.0, you need to have that version installed on the agent machine, too - just like the initial error message says: Ranorex 6.2 is installed on the agent, but the compiled test expects version 7.0 :)

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

corissa

Post by corissa » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:22 pm

Support Team wrote:
corissa wrote:but I did not reinstall Ranorex Studio on the test machine since I don't think I need it. (I'm only using the test machine to run the tests, not to make any)
Wait, don't reinstall the .NET Framework, it won't help. You have to install the Ranorex Runtime for 7.0, i.e. the Ranorex Studio setup, which also includes the runtime. There is no separate setup for the runtime, but you can deselect Studio in the installer in case you won't need it.

FYI: The agent just provides the means to be contacted by Ranorex Studio, start tests, and convey back the results. It can work with different Ranorex Runtime versions.
However, if you compile your test with Ranorex 7.0, you need to have that version installed on the agent machine, too - just like the initial error message says: Ranorex 6.2 is installed on the agent, but the compiled test expects version 7.0 :)

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team
Hi Alex,

This is great news, and I received an email saying the same thing. Thanks so much! It was an error on my part, I did not realize I needed the new version of Ranorex installed on the test machine as well. Thanks again for all your help!! :D