Ranorex Agent

Ask general questions here.
SanMan

Ranorex Agent

Post by SanMan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:40 am

Currently have test running on my local laptop and now have a plan to make things better with Ranorex Agent & Jenkins

Some questions:

- Is it easy to run the already "transfer" the existing test cases to virtual machine and run them there with help of Agent?

- Is there a trial period with Agent?

- Is it the same thing if I run the Agent in a "real" PC on my network or in virtual machine? (thinking that it would be easier first to see/"practice" if the test cases can be run at all with Agent)

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex Agent

Post by odklizec » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:02 am

Hi,
SanMan wrote: - Is it easy to run the already "transfer" the existing test cases to virtual machine and run them there with help of Agent?
It depends... ;) If the configuration of VM (OS, browser, AUT, .net,...) is exactly the same as on physical machine, then yes, the existing tests should work just fine. But from my previous experience with physical machine/VM differences, I'm now always developing tests directly on VMs, where the tests will be run.
SanMan wrote: - Is there a trial period with Agent?
Nope, there is no special trial period just for agents. The trial period coming with Studio covers also agents. But you can always (kindly) ask support for trial period extension and they usually oblige ;)
SanMan wrote: - Is it the same thing if I run the Agent in a "real" PC on my network or in virtual machine? (thinking that it would be easier first to see/"practice" if the test cases can be run at all with Agent)
Yep, it should be the same running agents from VM as running from physical machine. You just need to make sure the VM meets Ranorex system configuration requirements.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

SanMan

Post by SanMan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks again for the answers.

I have a premium license in use now. I did install agent to remote PC and I did found the agent with my Studio but got following error:

{"Message":"The request is invalid."} at Ranorex.Dex.Components.Network.HttpResponseMessageExtensions.WhenFailedThrowException(HttpResponseMessage msg)
at Ranorex.Dex.Components.Network.WebApi.<GetAsync>d__10`1.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Ranorex.Dex.Components.Domain.RemoteAgentApi.<HandleApiErrorsAsync>d__40`1.MoveNext()

What could be the problem? Firewall or some required file missing?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:13 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, I don't have a clue. It could be either firewall or the remote PC does not meet Ranorex system requirements? Have you check the requirements?...
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... uirements/
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration