Ranorex and the browsers

Ask general questions here.
giuseppe.lacagnina

Ranorex and the browsers

Post by giuseppe.lacagnina » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:25 pm

Dear All,

until now I have been running all my test cases for our HTML application in Internet Explorer.
In the near future, we will need to test also in Firefox and Chrome. I have made some experiments,
and I have observed that identifying items for the repository is somewhat more difficult in Firefox.
This is partly due to the design of our web application, but partly also to Ranorex, I suspect.

At the moment, I have Ranorex 5.4.4 and I am making this enquiry also to support my case for
an update to 6.1 in the company.

I would like to know if the newest version has any significant improvement in dealing with Firefox
and Chrome, with particular focus on the identification of objects.

Thanks!

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex and the browsers

Post by odklizec » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi Giuseppe,

I don't think there are some FF/Chrome specific enhancements in 6.1, other than specified in release notes? What exactly is your problem? Could you please post an example xpath, which works with one browser and fails with another? Ideally, post also a Ranorex snapshot from both browsers. You see, the HTML pages should display more or less the same in each browser and Ranorex xpath should work the same in all browsers. However, there may be some browser specific elements (like browser popups and dialogs), which xpaths may significantly differ between browsers. So in some cases, it may not be possible to use the same xpath for all browsers. Or at least you need to manually edit them to make them working in all browsers. But I'm afraid, without more details about your problem, it's practically impossible to suggest something reliable. BTW, you can always try Ranorex 6.1. in trial mode.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Aracknid

Post by Aracknid » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:38 pm

I've been using Ranorex since version 2 or 3 and currently I'm using 5.4.x stream. I test against FireFox and Chrome every now and then (IE is my main browser to run against) and I have no major issues. There are definitely differences in the browsers UI that impact certain functionality and minor differences here and there that pop up once in a while, but basically I've not had issues.

In my framework, I know what browser I'm using, and I have case logic to handle places where there are differences.

Aracknid.

giuseppe.lacagnina

Post by giuseppe.lacagnina » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks, everyone! I was having some difficulties in identifying items but I will discuss them with the developers of the application. I will also try to update to 6.1: we can, in principle, but the management must give its OK.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:27 pm

You don't have to upgrade to 6.1 right away. Just install 6.1 trial on another machine and perform some tests with a copy of your 5.x project. There will be required a conversion of your existing 5.x solution to 6.1 format, but since you will try it on a copy of your projects, there should be no problem doing this? ;) If nothing else, by doing this "trial" test you can confirm/deny that the 6.1 conversion process is smooth or if there are required some manual changes (like replacing obsolete API methods).
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

giuseppe.lacagnina

Post by giuseppe.lacagnina » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:35 pm

Makes sense. :D