Ranorex deleted all folders

Ask general questions here.
gayathri

Ranorex deleted all folders

Post by gayathri » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:48 pm

Hi,
I was in the middle of updating the script and when I try to close the Ranorex, i received a popup message saying "you cannot save the current file and need to choose different path" (don't remember exactly). But I closed the ranorex.

When I reopened the Ranorex and try to open the existing solution, nothing was in the folder.

Does Ranorex deleted all the developed solutions and the folders that access during the execution.

Luckily i had a copy of all the scripts in my local drive.

What could have caused this issue and how to retrieve all the scripts?

Note *** I accidentally deleted the Google chrome instances were present under "Background Processes" in Task Manager. And then tried to close the Ranorex....I received the above said issue.

Ranorex version- 8.0.1
OS- Windows 10
AUT - Web application

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex deleted all folders

Post by odklizec » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:23 pm

Hi,

I've never experienced problem like you described. But I'm curious about this:
Luckily i had a copy of all the scripts in my local drive.
Do I understand it right that you tried to save the solution on shared/network drive? I'm afraid, Ranorex does not support network/shared drives! You must store and load the solution to/from local drive. Also, are you using some kind of version control system (GIT, SVN, TFS, ...)? If not, you should immediately adopt one!
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

krstcs

Re: Ranorex deleted all folders

Post by krstcs » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:20 pm

As Pavel said, please use a true version control system (VCS) like Git, SVN, etc. This is THE most important thing you can do for your own sanity and job security. If you aren't using one, please stop everything and get one now. I promise, you will regret it if you don't, because there will be a time when you don't have a backup, or your disc crashes, and then you will have lost your work. Many of us have been in that situation and we won't work without a good VCS any more. :D

If your company already has an account on GitHub, or something similar, or if they have a local VCS server, you should put your code there as soon as possible.
Shortcuts usually aren't...