Ranorex doesn't release files

Bug reports.
taralex

Ranorex doesn't release files

Post by taralex » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:07 pm

I have a small shell application that does the following:

1. when user clicks the Test button it loads the application under test.
2. then it searches this application for a particular element using FindSingle function.
3. then it closes the application under test and returns to shell application.

For some reason the ApplicationUnderTest.exe file remains locked together with a bunch of dlls it uses even after the test is completed and the application under test is closed.

The only way to release it is to close my shell application, which I don't want to do.

How do I release my application under test?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:47 am

This problem exists if you access Windows Forms user controls in the automated application. In order to get information for user defined controls, Ranorex needs to get the DLLs that define these controls. These DLLs are loaded in the automating application and therefore stay locked until the automating application is closed.

I assume that your ApplicationUnderTest.exe defines some user controls, so it stays locked until the automating application is closed. Sorry, but at the moment the only way around that problem would be disabling the Ranorex WinForms plugin, but then your paths won't work any more. If you want to change your ApplicationUnderTest, you need to close all Ranorex applications that access the ApplicationUnderTest.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Support Team

Radu

Re: Ranorex doesn't release files

Post by Radu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi! I'd like to know, if this issue was fixed in recent Ranorex release (3.0.1) or if some walkaround is recomended in such case. I try to automate application update test cases in my project, but there seems to be some problems with files kept by Ranorex. Installer reports, that some applications "are using files, that need to be updated" and Ranorex Studio is among those applications. I appreciate any hints or suggestions!

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:07 pm

When you track or record actions on a Windows Forms application from Ranorex Studio, the Studio will load the assemblies (DLLs) containing the definition of the Windows Forms controls in your application (as explained in my previous post). The only way to unload the assemblies is to close Ranorex Studio, so the DLLs will be locked until you close Ranorex Studio.

The workaround is to create a separate executable that tests the deinstallation routine. That way, this separate executable will not automate your application (just the installer) and hence does not need to load the DLLs for your controls.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:07 pm

When you track or record actions on a Windows Forms application from Ranorex Studio, the Studio will load the assemblies (DLLs) containing the definition of the Windows Forms controls in your application (as explained in my previous post). The only way to unload the assemblies is to close Ranorex Studio, so the DLLs will be locked until you close Ranorex Studio.

The workaround is to create a separate executable that tests the deinstallation routine. That way, this separate executable will not automate your application (just the installer) and hence does not need to load the DLLs for your controls.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team