Ranorex end point while connecting to vm throwing offline

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
csolanki

Ranorex end point while connecting to vm throwing offline

Post by csolanki » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:29 pm

Hi,

I have made selenium hub-node in a VM. But when I am trying to pass the ip of vm in end point details, it is displaying offline. While it connects with my MacBook by same process. What could be the reason ?
Ranorex Studio : 9
vm : Windows 2012R

Note : I am using port 8090 and I can see grid console working on vm.
Regards,
Charu Solanki
Ranorex User

Vega

Re: Ranorex end point while connecting to vm throwing offline

Post by Vega » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:24 pm

Are you able to run pure Selenium API tests remotely on the endpoint? This would help narrow down the issue to something Ranorex related or something environment related. When you say you are using port 8090, I assume this is the port you are starting the selenium server with (grid or standalone). Make sure you specify this port in the endpoint if you are not already [ip:port]. As always, dont forget to check your port configurations to allow traffic to and from 8090 from each hardware point involved (vm, pc, router, etc.)

Code: Select all

I have made selenium hub-node in a VM. But when I am trying to pass the ip of vm in end point details, it is displaying offline. While it connects with my MacBook by same process.
I'm afraid I do not fully understand, are you able to clarify? Are you saying that the new vm you cannot connect to, but if you setup a server on your macbook it works? So I believe you are trying to connect to both the macbook endpoint and new VM endpoint from the same machine, is this correct? Sorry just trying to understand your environment setup

hope this helps

csolanki

Post by csolanki » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Second half of the solution is correct.

Are you saying that the new vm you cannot connect to, but if you setup a server on your macbook it works? So I believe you are trying to connect to both the macbook endpoint and new VM endpoint from the same machine, is this correct?

Yes this is correct. But I will use 1 end point at a time. I mentioned macbok because, I am clear with set-up instructions.
Regards,
Charu Solanki
Ranorex User

Vega

Post by Vega » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:26 pm

Ok thanks for the clarification. Setup should be the roughly the same for each OS outside of the driver(s) that you are using. Some drivers are now embedded within the OS (Safari, Edge, etc.) while some drivers are still stand alone.

Yeah at this point I would try testing the environment alone without Ranorex by creating and running a really simple Selenium API test in Visual Studio (that is if you are creating it in .NET, otherwise any IDE will work and there is nothing special about Visual Studio). If you have the same issue then likely the environment is the culprit. If the Selenium API test works, then perhaps the issue is with Ranorex -> Endpoint. Narrowing down the issue will be the best course of action in my opinion.

Hope this helps