Ranorex Is very slow while identifying elements and test suite execution gets slower

Ask general questions here.
bhavani

Ranorex Is very slow while identifying elements and test suite execution gets slower

Post by bhavani » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:47 pm

Hi,

I have solution which has four test suites and each test suite contains approximately 10-12 test cases in it.
While identifying certain controls ranorex takes a lot of time for its execution. Due to this even a single test case takes around 18 mins to complete its execution. This is the same with other test cases as well where we need to execute similar functionalities.
Need to know why is Ranorex slow especially to locate controls like checkboxes, key press such as enter/space doesn't get executed, even for double clicks we need to first add "move" action and then insert a double click in the recording.
Attaching the report of one of the test cases executed via Ranorex Studio and .NET Framework and Ranorex Version.
Windows which i am using is Windows 10 Pro.
Unable to attach the rxlog file since message is displayed as "Error parsing Server Response".
Any help would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex Is very slow while identifying elements and test suite execution gets slower

Post by odklizec » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:14 am

Hi,

Unfortunately, without seeing your app under test, or at very least, a Ranorex snapshot (NOT screenshot) of AUT and xpath of elements, which usually takes longer time to find, there is not much anyone here can do or suggest. Generally speaking, if the search time is too long, the searched xpath is most probably too general and not specific enough? Also, what helps is adding the application under test to the Ranorex whitelist, so then Ranorex ingores other processes and therefore, the search time could improve dramatically! And of course, you should try to upgrade your Ranorex version with most recent 9.0.1, with many bug fixes and general improvements. It makes no sense to stick with somewhat old and no longer supported 8.3.0, not to mention debugging your problem with an obsolete version ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

bhavani

Re: Ranorex Is very slow while identifying elements and test suite execution gets slower

Post by bhavani » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:19 am

Hi,

I had upgraded to the newer version 9.0.1 but still there is not much of performance change while i execute the test suite. Also can you please let me know how to capture Ranorex snapshot so that I can provide the xpaths of the searched elements

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:41 am

Hi,

You can learn how to create a Ranorex snapshot here:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... hot-files/

Plus don’t forget to post an example of xpath, which takes longer than expected to find.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

bhavani

Post by bhavani » Fri May 03, 2019 1:26 pm

PFA snapshots.

Below are the xpaths for combobox and button snapshot
Combobox: /form[@title='Renderer settings']/container[@name='mainPanel']//container[@name='visComp']/?/?/combobox[@name='selectAppendModesComboBox']
Button: /form[@title='Renderer settings']/container[@name='mainPanel']//container[@name='visComp']/?/?/button[@name='browseButton']
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bhavani

Post by bhavani » Fri May 03, 2019 1:35 pm

Also posting some snapshots for checkboxes which also requires equal amount of time to get recognized and clicked

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri May 03, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the snapshots and xpaths. Both xpaths looks fine, so I guess they are not the source of slowdown? On the other hand, I see the app is java-based. Have you tried to change the default Java-related settings (available in Ranorex >> Settings >> Plugins tab)? I would especially explore the "Whitelisted class names" options. BTW, is the slowdown reproducible also on another computer? Are you sure there are not running another Java apps in background? And finally, what version of Java you are using?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

bhavani

Post by bhavani » Tue May 07, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi,

What exactly do we have to check in Whitelisted Class Names?
The slow down is also reproducible in another machine.
Yes, I am running another Java Application in Background. Version Number is 1.8

Vega

Post by Vega » Thu May 09, 2019 11:53 pm

Since you upgraded to Ranorex 9.0.1, I would try using the performance tracing feature:

https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... roduction/
Performance tracing is a useful feature for optimizing your test execution times. It collects detailed information about the time it takes events like repository item searches or mouse input actions to happen during a test run. It collects this information in a log that you can then view and organize with Excel, for example.
Would you be able to upload a compressed Ranorex report which shows the performance? You can learn how to create one here:

https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/han ... orexreport

Hope this helps