Ranorex Queries

Ask general questions here.
Anjana.

Ranorex Queries

Post by Anjana. » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:51 am

We are evaluating the tool and have some below queries please help us

1. Test database will be in Master server, we take remote and trigger the execution. While execution when the remote VM has some network issue, Will the execution still runs in master?
2. Whether batch execution is feasible? How and what happens when a script in batch fails?
3. We execute the test in Windows VMs. When the Test execution is in Progress if we minimize the End Application what will happen? ( Either test fails or resume after maximize)

Thanks in advance.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex Queries

Post by odklizec » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:24 am

Hi,

1) As long as the test will run directly on master server, there should not be a problem with network instability. Of course, if the test will be running on VM and from there it will access something on master server, then the network stability is crucial.

2) If one tests from batch fails and there is no special handling what to do in case of test failure, the batch will simply start next test on the list. What exactly do you expect from the batch execution, aside of consecutive execution of multiple tests? I think the best approach is using some kind of continuous integration (like Jenkins, Bamboo or similar). Plain batch file, is not something I would consider as a long term solution.

3) If the VM is started via Remote Desktop and you minimize or close RD window, the test will fail. RD, if minimized or closed, locks remote desktop. Please follow the steps described in this user guide chapter:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... lRDPbrspan
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Anjana.

Post by Anjana. » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks for the solution.

Could you please help us with the below

1. how to perform batch execution
2. Calling a testcase/recording module inside another testcase
3. Looping and Jump in code

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi,

1) Ranorex command line execution is pretty well described here:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... execution/

2) Calling a test case from another test case or module is not supported. You can run a module from another module, using method described here:
https://www.ranorex.com/forum/repeating ... tml#p26719
However, I would suggest to avoid this approach and rather using testsuite to define test execution sequence. Calling modules from another modules could make the test somewhat messy and hard to maintain.

3) Could you please describe, in more details, what exactly you want to achieve?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Anjana.

Post by Anjana. » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:41 am

Thanks you so much

I exactly want to know how to write batch file to select number of test cases if i have more than 500 test cases. Can i get any example .

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:52 am

Hi,

A simple example of batch file, which starts one test case after another, could look like this:
c:\path\to\your\test.exe /tc:NameOfTestCaseContainer_1 (e.g. TestCase1)
c:\path\to\your\test.exe /tc:NameOfTestCaseContainer_2
c:\path\to\your\test.exe /tc:NameOfTestCaseContainer_3
Everything you need to know about command line execution, and all available parameters, is extensively described in the User Guide.

However, I could not think of a reason, why would anyone want to explicitly start one test case after another, using a command line (especially, if there is over 500 test cases)? ;) I personally would use Run Configurations. With Run Configurations, you can specify sets of test cases (e.g. all tests, or selected number of test cases for smoke test). And of course, you can specify, which Run Configuration should be started via command line:
c:\path\to\your\test.exe /rc:NameOfRunConfiguration (e.g. AllTest, Smoke, etc...)
In other words, with Run Configurations, you can use a one or two command lines, instead of creating over 500 individual lines ;)

Please read the Ranorex user guide and explore what Ranorex offers, before making any rushed steps.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Anjana.

Post by Anjana. » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:44 am

Thank you so much for your suggestion and reply Odklizec :)