Ranorex Queries

Ask general questions here.
kavya13

Ranorex Queries

Post by kavya13 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:55 am

Hello Team,

Kindly let me know,
1)I am not able to instrument and deploy adobe acrobat application on ios 13.3 whereas I am able to do the same in iOS 12 versions.
2)Ranorex is not able to identify notification bell/objects inside CEF dialogs of the objects in Adobe Acrobat Reader Desktop Application.
3)I am not able to push my solutions to git, though commit is working fine for us as of now. I also followed the steps available on https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/int ... ntrol/git/
4)Is there any way to automated way of instrumentation process (where we could uninstall the previous application and replace it with instrumented version of latest build)
5)Is there any way to launch Ranorex service app automatically in Android and iOS?
6)I tried to deploy an already instrumented app(not via ranorex) through ranorex, the application got deployed successfully but was not visible in ranorex service app. Is it a required condition to instrument the app via ranorex?
7)What is the automated way of adding end points to each test suite rather than opening the particular solution and adding them manually

Kindly suggest steps.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex Queries

Post by odklizec » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:08 am

Hi,

Please see the answers below
1)I am not able to instrument and deploy adobe acrobat application on ios 13.3 whereas I am able to do the same in iOS 12 versions.
I'm afraid, that's pure luck you were able to instrument 3rd-party iOS app with Ranorex? It's definitely not normal and expected scenario. 3rd party apps usually cannot be instrumented, because they are obfuscated. So if you (your company) are not owner of the app in question, there is nothing you can do about this!
2)Ranorex is not able to identify notification bell/objects inside CEF dialogs of the objects in Adobe Acrobat Reader Desktop Application.
Please post a Ranorex snapshot of the app, or even better, please tell us, which version of Acrobat Reader do you use and which dialog EXACTLY does not work with Ranorex.
3)I am not able to push my solutions to git, though commit is working fine for us as of now. I also followed the steps available on https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/int ... ntrol/git/
I'm afraid, I'm unable to answer this, as I'm using TFS. I think it's best to contact directly Ranorex support and request a remote session with them?
4)Is there any way to automated way of instrumentation process (where we could uninstall the previous application and replace it with instrumented version of latest build)
Check these steps, regarding uninstalling android apps:
https://www.ranorex.com/forum/is-it-pos ... t8398.html
5)Is there any way to launch Ranorex service app automatically in Android and iOS?
As far as I know, Ranorex service app must be started manually? It may be possible to start the service app on android via ADB commands, but I'm not quite sure about this either ;)
6)I tried to deploy an already instrumented app(not via ranorex) through ranorex, the application got deployed successfully but was not visible in ranorex service app. Is it a required condition to instrument the app via ranorex?
What do you mean that the app was "instrumented", but not via Ranorex? Ranorex instrumentation process modifies the app to work with Ranorex. So any "instrumentation" you did outside Ranorex, is most probably something else and completely unrelated to Ranorex? And of course, such app will not communicate with Ranorex service app.
7)What is the automated way of adding end points to each test suite rather than opening the particular solution and adding them manually
Check this post:
https://www.ranorex.com/forum/viewtopic ... 596#p54606
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

kavya13

Post by kavya13 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:53 am

Hello Team,

Thanks for your response.

Kindly let me know,I am able to instrument and deploy adobe acrobat application on IOS 12 whereas I am not able to do the same in IOS 13.3 versions.Does ranorex support IOS 13.3 version?

Thanks in advance.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:58 am

Hi,

I've answered this as well ;) Simply, you can't. The app must not be obfuscated, which is a most probable reason, why you can't instrument it. It does not matter you were able to instrument iOS 12 app. My guess is, that someone realized, that the app is not obfuscated and corrected such mistake in latest version? Basically, you must be a maker of the app and be able (your company) to build the app in the way that is compatible with Ranorex instrumentation process. Or it must be instrumented directly in the app code. If you are not maker of the app, you can't (in most cases) instrument it.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

kavya13

Post by kavya13 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:46 am

Hello Team,

Kindly let me know,
1)Is it feasible to call already written API’s in C++ through Ranorex?
2)Is there any automated way of instrumentation process (where we could uninstall the previous application and replace it with instrumented version of latest build) The solution provided is working fine with Android but not with iOS.
3)What is the automated way of adding end points to each test suite rather than opening the particular solution and adding them manually. The solution provided is working fine with android but not with iOS.
4)Ranorex is not able to identify some of the objects in Adobe Acrobat Reader Desktop Application. Example: notification bell/objects inside CEF dialogs. Please find the screenshot.
Acrobat Desktop.zip
Kindly suggest any steps.

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stub

Post by Stub » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:04 am

You can invoke C APIs via .NET PInvoke, and you can also wrap the C++ API with a C++/CLI wrapper which can then be referenced by Ranorex code. I've certainly done the latter, though not in relation to Ranorex.

I know nothing of mobile device testing with Ranorex however, so the above may not be relevant, I don't know.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:29 am

Hi,

As for the Acrobat problem, it seems that Acrobat reader is simply not automation friendly. The elements you pointed out are not recognizable even with MS Inspect. Which means that there is most probbaly nothing Ranorex folks can do about this? And your only hope is to use either GDI Capture or image-based automation.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

kavya13

Post by kavya13 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:32 am

Hi Team,

Kindly let me know,
1)We are trying to instrument Acrobat IPA on iOS 13.3 and are getting an error.[attached screenshot]
iOSInstrumentationIssue.png
We have discussed with the iOS team of Acrobat and have been assured that there is obfuscation in the application that might be causing this issue. Kindly suggest any steps.

2)Ranorex is not able to identify some of the objects in Adobe Acrobat Reader Desktop Application:-
We have already used GDI capture but it works only on those elements which have some text written on them.But some elements that do not have text on them are still not recognizable. Is there any other way apart from image based automation which could solve this issue.

3)Is there any automated way of instrumentation process (where we could uninstall the previous application and replace it with instrumented version of latest build) The solution provided is working fine with Android but not with iOS.

4)What is the automated way of adding end points to each test suite rather than opening the particular solution and adding them manually. The solution provided is working fine with android but not with iOS.

5)If we have a runtime license, is it possible to build a solution through command line and execute the solution or we could only execute an already build solution for which exe file has already been generated. And also, if the solution hasn’t been build once and an exe file has not been generated will it work fine with Jenkins?

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:31 am

Hi
1)We are trying to instrument Acrobat IPA on iOS 13.3 and are getting an error.
As for instrumenting IPA from 3rd party source, I'm afraid, you are out of luck here. This simply can't be done without permision and support of the app originator.

Code: Select all

2)Ranorex is not able to identify some of the objects in Adobe Acrobat Reader Desktop Application:-
As before, without support from Adobe, there is most probably nothing you can do about this. Without proper implementation of accessibility into Adobe Reader, your options are limited to just GDI Capture and image-based automation.
3)Is there any automated way of instrumentation process (where we could uninstall the previous application and replace it with instrumented version of latest build).
4)What is the automated way of adding end points to each test suite rather than opening the particular solution and adding them manually. The solution provided is working fine with android but not with iOS.
I believe that there are no such options for iOS apps, because of iOS security limitations? But I think it would be better to ask directly Ranorex support. Feel free to contact them via support form available here:
https://www.ranorex.com/support-query/
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

kavya13

Post by kavya13 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 am

Hello Team,

Kindly let me know, If we have a runtime license, is it possible to build a solution through command line and execute the solution or we could only execute an already build solution for which exe file has already been generated. And also, if the solution hasn’t been build once and an exe file has not been generated will it work fine with Jenkins?

Thanks in advance.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:54 am

Hi,

Sorry, I missed this one. With runtime license you can only run already compiled tests. For building tests (compiling test exe) is required full Studio license. Basically, if you want to integrate Ranorex with Jenkins, build machine must be equipped with Studio license. Then you can run compiled tests with runtime license.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration