Ranorex Runtime on Virtual machine requires remote desktop.

Ask general questions here.
bobbydazzler

Ranorex Runtime on Virtual machine requires remote desktop.

Post by bobbydazzler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:11 am

Hello,

I ran the first over night run of my CI setup with Jenkins and my AUT on a virtual machine. I had been successfully executing these scripts with the virtual machine terminal visible on my desktop PC during a normal work day.

I set the Jenkins schedule to run overnight (after the AUT Jenkins nightly build was complete) and switched off my PC (thus closing the connection to the virtual machine) and the Ranorex runtime scripts failed identify the objects on my AUT.

Is there a setting I have missed to enable this to run successfully without the virtual terminal window being open. I would have thought this was surely designed to run without the need for a remote desktop connection open. I know my single PC being left on for days and weeks on end is not going to leave a large carbon footprint but I would rather not do it if it can be avoided.

If anyone else has come accross this problem and solved it i would be very grateful for a response.

Thanks,

Chris

Ciege

Re: Ranorex Runtime on Virtual machine requires remote desktop.

Post by Ciege » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:52 pm

As discussed several time previously in the forums...

You cannot run any functional automated tests that interact with a GUI with *ANY* test automation software when there is no GUI. If you have an RDP session open, the GUI exists, thus the tests can interact with that GUI. If there is no RDP session open, then no console (no GUI) exists... Therefore there is nothing that Ranorex (or any automation software package) can interact with...

This is not a limitation of Ranorex or other test automation softwares... This is just the way Windows works. If there is no one logged in with a valid console, no GUI exists.
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

bobbydazzler

Re: Ranorex Runtime on Virtual machine requires remote desktop.

Post by bobbydazzler » Thu May 02, 2013 11:03 am

Ciege,

Thanks for your reply. I'll make sure I look a bit harder before posting something that has been answered before. I did look but could not find a post of similar nature.

Cheers,

Chris