Ranorex Spy crashes when identifying Chrome

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
tbumbarger

Ranorex Spy crashes when identifying Chrome

Post by tbumbarger » Wed May 10, 2017 3:16 pm

We've a problem on some of our machines where the SPY tool crashes when interacting with Chrome.

Windows 10
Ranorex 6.2.1
Chrome Extension Installed and Enabled

If I could find the log files, I'd include them...

We've tried uninstalling both ranorex and the chrome extension. Does anyone have any additional troubleshooting suggestions?

*The tracker from the repository within Ranorex studio appears to behave just fine, its only the separate tracker tool.

Thanks!

krstcs

Re: Ranorex Spy crashes when identifying Chrome

Post by krstcs » Wed May 10, 2017 4:51 pm

What version of Chrome are you using? 64/32-bit?

Which bitness of Spy (64/32-bit)? (Studio defaults to 32-bit Spy, I believe...)
Shortcuts usually aren't...

tbumbarger

Post by tbumbarger » Thu May 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Still researching this, not ignoring you!
We have multiple machines at the moment and it looks like Ranorex defaults both Studio and Spy to x64.
32 bit chrome versions appear to behave properly, but the offending chrome version is x64. Going to reinstall and get back to you.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 pm

Just so you know, Ranorex Studio is only a 32-bit application (it is built on SharpDevelop 4, which is only 32-bit), and launches the 32-bit version of Spy. 32-bit Spy and Studio should both work just fine with 64-bit applications because of the 32-to-64 Bit Bridge. You can launch 64-bit Spy (and a few other tools) separately.

Visual Studio (and anything based on it) is also only 32-bit. At this point MS has said they will not make a 64-bit version because there is no need. MSBuild handles the 64-bit compile.

Also Chrome has been messing with some installs by "upgrading" them to the 64-bit version automatically (if the OS is 64-bit and there's 4Gb or more RAM). I don't know if this is an issue for you, but thought I'd throw it out there...
Shortcuts usually aren't...

tbumbarger

Post by tbumbarger » Wed May 17, 2017 8:54 pm

After much uninstalling/reinstalling of the browser, plugin, and even Ranorex it still seems to happen.
Using the 'track' option right from within the Studio works just fine, so not sure what could be causing it.

Thanks for all the info though. Do you happen to know if ranorex logs problems anywhere? I don't see any obvious 'log file' directory.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu May 18, 2017 3:07 am

Hello tbumbarger,

Like krstcs, I suspect it may be a bit version issue. Ranorex uses a bit bridge to help with different bit versions, but occasionally (rare), we see issues from it in unique environments.

Try launching Ranorex Spy (32bit) and see if this resolves your issue. The default Ranorex Spy is the 64 bit version.
2017-05-17 21_48_23-Post a reply _ Ranorex Forum.png
Also, try toggling the bit bridge (Settings > Advance > Enable 32/64 Bit Bridge) and see if this helps.

If you continue experiencing issues, please provide a trace log of the crash, and any application crash report data from windows event viewer.

How to create a trace log:
  • 1. Open Spy
    2. Open trace settings (Settings > Plugins > Tracing)
    3. Set Log File Name to first option (saves log to desktop)
    4. Set Log Level = Trace
    5. Perform steps to cause crash
I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ned
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CWhiting

Post by CWhiting » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:12 pm

I too have been having Ranorex crash - this morning I was not using the Spy utility, just had Ranorex running in the background. I was doing some editing in Jira with my Chrome browser when the edit started to act strange - edit was not responding. Then a popup appeared stating Ranorex had crashed afterwards the editing in Jira worked fine.

N612

Post by N612 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:12 pm

CWhiting wrote:I too have been having Ranorex crash - this morning I was not using the Spy utility, just had Ranorex running in the background. I was doing some editing in Jira with my Chrome browser when the edit started to act strange - edit was not responding. Then a popup appeared stating Ranorex had crashed afterward the editing in Jira worked fine.
Hi CWhiting!

Since this thread is almost a year old and does not really relate to your issue, I recommend creating a new topic or contacting the support team directly to help you troubleshoot this issue (https://www.ranorex.com/support-query/). If possible, provide steps to duplicate the crash, the full error/crash message, and Ranorex trace logs (located in %userprofile%\Documents\Ranorex\Logs). The more you provide, the better. :D