Ranorex/Spy reporting different value than what it actually is in Edge

Bug reports.
Aracknid

Ranorex/Spy reporting different value than what it actually is in Edge

Post by Aracknid » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi,

Using Ranorex 8.3 and testing against Edge (Windows 10 latest updates to this weekend, Edge version 11.0.17134.345).

In my program, a control is disabled and the Edge source shows the disabled attribute set to "disabled", but in Ranorex coding and in spy, it reports it as "False", which is typically the value I get if the disabled attribute is not existing for the object. Or another way of saying that is if the object is not disabled, there will not be a disabled attribute, so asking what it is will return false.

Please see attached images.

This works in all other browsers. I'm wondering if something doesn't get updated under the covers to notify Ranorex because it just went from being enabled to disabled.

Thanks,

Aracknid
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aracknid

Re: Ranorex/Spy reporting different value than what it actually is in Edge

Post by Aracknid » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:06 pm

For some reason, I'm having issues attaching the second file... here it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:12 pm

Hello Aracknid,

Thank you for reporting this issue in the forum.
I was able to replicate the issue and I have entered it into our internal issue tracking system.
Our developers will now analyze the issue.

I will let you know when I receive their feedback.

Sincerely,
Tomaž

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Hello Aracknid,

Our developers looked into this issue and their feedback is that the "disabled" attribute works correctly with all the web elements where the attribute matters (for example input tag). This attribute is not valid for an Atag. Do you need this attribute on the Atag for some reason? Are you also facing an issue with this attribute on a web-element where the attribute is valid?

Sincerely,
Tomaž

Aracknid

Post by Aracknid » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:12 pm

OK, so just for clarity...

The disabled attribute for an anchor is not "officially" supported (I can see that here: https://dev.w3.org/html5/html-author/#the-a-element), but currently I can manually go into any of the browsers includingEdge and go to my page and it is in fact working correctly. This is for IE, Edge, Firefox and Chrome. From a non-automation point of view, there is no issue.

Now in the code, for IE, FF, and Chrome, I can ask the DOM the getattributevaluetext for disabled and it correctly returns "disabled" when it is disabled, but with Edge it doesn't. How is this possible? If it's not supported why do the 3 browsers return the correct value, and only Edge doesn't?

Do we need disabled on A tag? This was a design decision made a long time ago to use this attribute. If you look in the screen shot of our UI, you can see that the 'save' and 'apply' a-links are displayed disabled (to prevent the user from saving their work in this case) and they can be flipped to working via a value being changed by the user on the page. When they are no longer disabled, the attribute disabled is removed from the HTML source. It doesn't change to "enabled".

I talked to the development manager and he says it's working, so he's not changing the code, and would only look at changing it if it were to stop working in the future. So automation is stuck... This is not a huge issue for me, it doesn't have a very big impact, but it would be nice if it worked consistently between all the browsers if possible.

Aracknid

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:12 pm

There seems to be some confusion regarding the disabled attribute. By itself, setting disabled on an A tag doesn't do anything. There has to be either custom CSS or JS to disable it (or simulate disabled behavior depending on the attribute value), but you could do that with any custom attribute.

We will probably fix this in a later (~9.0) version because this is still an inconsistency in values between plugins and there are also a number of other inconsistencies related to whitespaces which we will fix as well, but which might be a breaking change in some edge cases.

Michael
Ranorex Dev Team