Ranorex Spy says fields are invisible when not.

Ask general questions here.
stapes

Ranorex Spy says fields are invisible when not.

Post by stapes » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:53 pm

I am running some tests on an iPad. I have a curious case of labels vanishing after data has been entered in their accompanying text fields.
I tried to code some validation of the labels so I can catch these when they go wrong, but Ranorex Spy says the labels are invisible. Clearly they are NOT invisible at this point. I can see the labels in the Ranorex Spy lower right panel. It can see the container the fields are in - it describes it as an Empty List, but it is not letting me select individual fields inside this.

It also pops up a misleading message:
Service App is not installed or running on the device. Automation capabilities will be limited. Forexample, starting and stopping apps will not be possible. To enable all functionality make sure the service app is installed and running.
OK. This is rubbish.
The device has Service Version 2.1.1 running. iOS v 9.1. Ranorex Studio version 5.4.4.26486

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex Spy says fields are invisible when not.

Post by odklizec » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi,

There are two possibilities. There is a bug in Ranorex evaluating given fields as 'invisible' when they are not. Or there is a problem with implementation of these fields in your app? Please post a Ranorex snapshot of given field(s). If you cannot post the snapshot publicly, send it to [email protected].

Ranorex support folks may even ask you for the application itself. You see, it's almost impossible to tell what's wrong without snapshot and sample app, which they can debug on their computers. And the same apply for "Service app not installed" message. Either the app is not quite normal/standard iOS app and so it may cause this error, or there is something wrong with Ranorex.

BTW, I would suggest to try latest Ranorex 5.4.5, because it contains various iOS instrumentation bug fixes.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

stapes

Post by stapes » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks odklizec. I take it I will need to get a new version of the App to run with an upgrade of Ranorex.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Hi,

Yes, it should definitely be instrumented with latest Ranorex version. At least I would do it to minimize the risk of problems and incompatibilities.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration