Ranorex Technology Limitation popup message from Spy

Bug reports.
Ciege
Ranorex Guru

Ranorex Technology Limitation popup message from Spy

Post by Ciege » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:17 pm

When I spy on a certain part of a dialog within my AUT I receive the attached error message (see screenshot).
Ranorex Tech Limitation.jpg
Ranorex Tech Limitation.jpg (11.91 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
It has only appeared (that I've noticed) when I try to spy on the Element 'CostItemReportControl' or the Element's children within Panel2 of my Report Dialog in my AUT. I've attached a snapshot of the dialog.

Code: Select all

/form[@controlname='ReportLaunchDialog']/container/container[@controlname='panel2']/element[@controlname='CostItemReportControl']
This (of course) did not happen with 2.x of Ranorex but is happening now with 3.0.1.
Attachments
ReportDialogSnapshot.rxsnp
(806.45 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Ciege
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex Technology Limitation popup message from Spy

Post by Ciege » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:10 pm

Just an update...
If I have Spy version 2.3.8 running at the same time as Spy version 3.0.1 and Spy on that form I get no technology limitation popup message. However, if I close both versions of Spy then start just the 3.x version the popup message returns.
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:32 pm

I checked that "CostItemReportControl" and it seems to come from a dynamically loaded assembly, i.e. an assembly loaded from a byte array. That's why Ranorex cannot load the assembly defining that control (since there is none or none that Ranorex could load). So the warning message is correct, however, it looks a little weird since no path is displayed.

And it is pretty useless, too, because you cannot do anything against it, that's why we decided to no show that message if the path for the assembly is empty. Consequently, you won't get that warning again with the next version :)

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

Ciege
Ranorex Guru

Post by Ciege » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:41 pm

It appears that I can still do all the automation I want to do within that dialog/form regardless of the warning message. Should I be worried at all about the automatability of that form?

Ciege...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Ciege wrote:Should I be worried at all about the automatability of that form?
It seems like it's only that one control coming from a dynamic assembly. As long as it's only that single control, I would not worry about it. And you cannot do much about it unless you change how plugin assemblies are loaded in your application, I guess...

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team