Ranorex tests freezing in Azure

Ask general questions here.
jasoncleo

Ranorex tests freezing in Azure

Post by jasoncleo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:51 am

I am not sure if many (or even any) other people are trying to move their test environments into the cloud, but the company I work for has decided to move alot of its infrastructure into the Microsoft Azure cloud, including the test environment.

I've been working on movingthe license server as well as the runtimes into Azure, and the License Server part seems to be working well enough (I started posting about this here: http://www.ranorex.com/forum/ranorex-in ... t9362.html).

But after finishing all my tooling and configuration in order to allow distributed testing (we use an inhouse process that talks to agents on each Azure VM to trigger tests), I am finding that pretty much all tests freeze early on in the test execution and the Ranorex test runner just stops responding (i.e. pressing 'Pause' does not abort the test). The CPU consumption is zero, it just sits there forever.

Details of the environments:
Every test environment is a Standard F1s machine (1CPU, 2GB of RAM) with Win 7 Enterprise x64 installed.
Ranorex 6.1.1 is installed on each VM, minus the Studio.
The tests are running primarily browser orientated tests, driving the Chrome browser.

The tests run fine on our locally hosted VMs and on our physical desktops.

I found an interesting forum post that had a similar issue and it was resolved by moving to a VMWare hosted VM, which sort of mirrors what we're seeing. (see: http://www.ranorex.com/forum/ranorex-fr ... t2843.html)

So, I'm hoping someone out there might know why Ranorex tests would have issues on Azure VMs (or any VM that isn't VMWare)?

I'll be looking to try and find out if there is some common spot/operation where the freeze is occurring. But our Christmas shutdown is just starting, so it'll be a couple of weeks before I update in regards to that.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ranorex tests freezing in Azure

Post by Support Team » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:56 pm

Hello jasoncleo,

In order to better analyze the issue, you can enable the logging by using the attached nlog file.

Copy the file into the same directory where the test executable is located and rename the extension of the file to nlog.config. When starting the test executable a log file should be created in the directory "C:\Temp". The log file has the same name as the test executable process.

Maybe you can find some helpful information about the crash within the log file.

Did you already check the Windows event viewer log? Maybe you can find some error messages there.

Sincerely,
Bernhard
Attachments
NLog.txt
(1.35 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

jasoncleo

Re: Ranorex tests freezing in Azure

Post by jasoncleo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:14 am

Hi Bernhard,

Thanks for your reply. I'd spent some time mulling it over during the Christmas break, and tinkered around with a few ideas, and worked out it actually wasn't anything due to the VM itself, but actually the way I was running the test.

I won't bore people with the details here, other than we use an 'agent process' running on each Azure VM which receives instructions from our test controller, and it was not properly consuming all the output streams from the Ranorex test executions. So when those buffers hit their limit, it was freezing the process.

We don't need to redirect those output streams for remote execution (as we collate the rxlogs afterwards) so once I fixed that, the tests all executed happily.

So thanks for your time, in the end the issue was nothing to do with Azure or Ranorex.

Cheers,
Jason