Ranorex tests work fine locally but fail on remote machine

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
raygoel

Ranorex tests work fine locally but fail on remote machine

Post by raygoel » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:31 pm

Hello Ranorex community,

I am using Ranorex to automate a desktop application. The tests are scheduled to run nightly through Azure Devops pipeline on remote agents.
I noticed that the tests run perfectly fine on my local development system. However, when I trigger them on a remote machine through the pipeline, the same script fails. I am trying to understand the cause behind this and come up with a solution to fix this.

I suspect there is a delay that gets introduced when tests are scheduled to run remotely since another system is introduced in the hierarchy. Is there a solution to counter this delay? Is there a way to alter the default timeout in Ranorex?

Lastly, if anyone else has faced this problem and has found a solution then I would be happy to connect and chat about it please.

Thanks,
Ray

Mike K
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Ranorex tests work fine locally but fail on remote machine

Post by Mike K » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:12 pm

Hi,

I can think of two issue that may cause this. First, confirm you have Ranorex libraries installed on the target machine. If libraries cannot be install there is an option on the first tab in Setting that will copy the libraries with the test executable. This will make the size of the test executable 200+ mb larger. Second, ensure the target machine has a desktop that is realized.

Good luck!

raygoel

Post by raygoel » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:47 pm

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

I made sure the libraries are installed on the target machine.
Most of my tests work fine on the VM. I identified the problem is with double click operation on the remote machine. maybe it is the lag that is causing it. I have added a retry to these tests to see if they succeed. However, I am still looking for a way to change the speed of double click in Ranorex. Not sure if that is an option.

Thanks,
Ray

mvlismas

Post by mvlismas » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:09 pm

Hello All,

My team and I are experiencing a similar issue. We run our Ranorex studio version 9.2.1 on Windows 10 machines. We have a "Ranorex" VM server set to run our tests we create on a nightly basis. Our tests run and test against our Windows app using .Net 4.8. I test my work using the remote agent we have set up on the "Ranorex" VM server. The nightly runs are ran using the Windows task scheduler set to use the highest privileges. When it runs it pulls down our committed changes from our repository. Btw, the server has the 9.2.1 Ranorex runtime installed, and the agent 7.0.1.

So, here is where things get a little strange. Up till 4/6/2021 everything was working well for years, on 4/7/2021 however, everything is failing on the "Ranorex" VM server. Further investigating I found the following... When my tests are selecting a specific tab in our application it works on my local machine, it sees TabPage 'tabname", on the Ranorex server it sees the all the tabs as one big blob called tabPageList 'tabControlConfig'.

I checked to see if Windows Updates installed some security patches, none.
I am running the AUT as Administrator, locally and on the Server.
Server is running Windows Server 2016 Standard version 10.0.14393 build 14393
Workstation is running Windows 10 Enterprise version 10.0.17134 build 17134

I have added a couple of screen shots for reference.

The Ranorex messages are:

Something is limiting object recognition for WinForms. Missing privileges are a common cause of this. Try starting all Ranorex tools and the AUT with the same privileges, preferably as an administrator.
Process: 'PACS Service Administration' (pid 1728)
https://www.ranorex.com/help/v9.2/inter ... eshooting/
(This message is only shown once per report.)

UI elements in your 'WPF.Core' AUT can’t be identified because it couldn’t be instrumented automatically. Restart all Ranorex tools and the AUT with the same privileges, preferably as an administrator. Could not set-up managed injection endpoint: DotNet Core CLR bootrapping error
Process: 'Ranorex.TestExecMonitor' (pid 6392)
(This message is only shown once per report.)

I researched the messages and I could not find anything that would change the way the elements are discovered on the Ranorex VM server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.