Ranorex Video Reporting

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
rahulcan

Ranorex Video Reporting

Post by rahulcan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:35 am

Hello Guys!
Can we configure the Ranorex video reporting feature, for example, If I want to customize the duration of the video recording instead of recording only for Failed test cases/All Test cases?
I have another question; What happens if Ranorex gets closed in the middle of Test Case execution? Do we still get the video recording?

McTurtle

Re: Ranorex Video Reporting

Post by McTurtle » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi rahulcan,

There are not really many customization options. Certainly it is not possible to limit the duration of the video from within Ranorex Studio video reporting settings. But it has all the most needed options and works brilliantly.

If Ranorex gets "closed" as "gracefully closed", then I guess everything is fine :) But I suspect you mean "killed" or "crashes" or something worse... Well...Ffmpeg is a process that is started by Ranorex, but if Ranorex gets killed, then ffmpeg will just continue to run, I am afraid. There is no way Ranorex can stop ffmpeg if it was itself terminated. The resulting video file will most likely not be what you wanted.

The video recording is simply starting and stopping ffmpeg.exe with cmd commands to start a parallel process that records the video.
Ffmpeg.exe is a community project. You can just start your own recording process via code modules or "Open application" actions (I think, have not tried myself). There, I guess you will somehow be able to limit the duration of the recording. The documentation page of ffmpeg is your friend: ffmpeg docu

I hope this helps.

Regards,
McTurtle

rahulcan

Re: Ranorex Video Reporting

Post by rahulcan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:06 am

Hello McTurtle,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will give it a try. :)