Ranorex with Jenkins driving (no CI)

Ask general questions here.
micheleaz

Ranorex with Jenkins driving (no CI)

Post by micheleaz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:38 pm

Hi everyone:
I am attempting to set up the following scenario: We Have Jenkins be a simple trigger for automation. We do not and will not have CI integration for a while. Here is what I want it to look like--

1. Development drops a build-- exe file-- (we are testing a desktop app) on a network share.
2. Jenkins queries the network share every 10 minutes to determine if there is a new build. If there is one, Jenkins installs it on the test box.
3. After install, Jenkins kicks Ranorex off and automation begins on the text box (which is running Ranorex remote).

Has anyone used Jenkins in a situation like this? I know Jenkins= CI, but we won't have CI and we just need it to do this for now...
Thanks!

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex with Jenkins driving (no CI)

Post by odklizec » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:47 am

Hi,

I'm using full Jenkins build/deploy/test process in my tests, so I can't help you with that. But I think that the "install" procedure could be an issue.

If by "install" you mean a typical app installation, requiring user input, then you might be in trouble. Your only hope is, that the install package offers "silent" parameter, which should avoid user interaction. Otherwise, you might need to incorporate the installation process into your Ranorex tests (as a pre-requisite scenario). All other things should be doable with Jenkins, maybe with the need of some plugins and/or batch scripts.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration