RanorexSpy with a runtime license

Ask general questions here.
Ciege

RanorexSpy with a runtime license

Post by Ciege » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Any way to run RanorexSpy with a runtime license installed?

My scenario:
I have full developer installed on an XP machine where I do my development.
I have installed a runtime license to a Win7 machine so that I can run my tests in a Win7 environment as well.

My issue is that some dialogs in Win7 (such as the windows explorer dialog) are different from XP to Win7 so my code needs to work with them differently. However, I cannot run RanorexSpy in my Win7 environment because of the runtime license error I receive.

Soooo... How can I run RanorexSpy on my runtime environment so I can find the different xpaths I need to handle and modify my code in my developer environment?

Thanks!
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RanorexSpy with a runtime license

Post by Support Team » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:18 am

Ciege wrote:Any way to run RanorexSpy with a runtime license installed?
No, sorry, that's not the purpose of a Ranorex Runtime License. However, using the following two lines of code you can create a snapshot of your application using your runtime license and analyze that snapshot on your a machine with a Ranorex Professional License:
Ranorex.Core.ElementSnapshot snap = Ranorex.Core.ElementSnapshot.Capture(element, true);
System.IO.File.WriteAllText("fileName.rxsnp", snap.SerializeXml());
We are currently working on a floating license model that should handle that scenario by letting you temporarily upgrade the license on a machine.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Support Team

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:10 pm

OK, thanks. I will give your suggestion a shot.
I understand the need for licensing different parts of Ranorex to different levels. However, I feel that the Spy tool should be available to all levels of Ranorex licenses for cases similar to mine. Especially since I have a developers license I would like the spy tool to be a bit portable. It's not like I can do anything with spy without a developers license...

Thanks...
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:57 pm

Ciege wrote:It's not like I can do anything with spy without a developers license...
With .NET assemblies there is no way to restrict the usage of those assemblies for developing, so we can only enforce our licenses by restricting the usage of Ranorex tools. If we allowed the use of Spy with a runtime license, you could technically develop using the runtime license. That's the problem, the professional license would not make any sense then, since it would allow the same things as the runtime license.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Support Team