RanorexStudio and agent on different subnets-Any workaround?

Ask general questions here.
nmathew
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

RanorexStudio and agent on different subnets-Any workaround?

Post by nmathew » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:04 pm

We have ranorex studio installed on laptops and desktops for development purpose and agents are installed on VM's which is on a different subnet than developers. After couple of failed attempts for establishing connection between studio and agents I came across the following post http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... oting.html in which it says "Make sure the machine Ranorex Studio is running on, is in the same network (subnet) as the machine the Ranorex Agent is running on".

Wondering if anyone else ran into this and would like to know how you get around or find any workaround other than having everything in one subnet?

Thanks in advance for any inputs

Noble

krstcs

Re: RanorexStudio and agent on different subnets-Any workaround?

Post by krstcs » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:15 pm

The only thing you can do is change the network configuration so that all of the systems are on the same subnet, or use a VPN or VLAN.

All systems must be on the same subnet for Remote Agent operations to work.

Understand that the current iteration of Remote Agent is designed to be used by a single developer to test current test work on a local system (usually a local VM), not for full-fledged remote test operations. For something like that you really need to use a full Continuous Integration system like Jenkins, TeamCity, or Bamboo.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

nmathew
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by nmathew » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:33 pm

Thank you for the reply. Seems like I cannot use the remote agent as I have VM's in different subnets.
Yup I use tfs and visual studio test controller and agents to distribute tests across different machines and continue to use the same for remote tests

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi nmathew,

Have you already checked the steps which are mentioned in our remote FAQ's?

I hope these steps helps you solving your problem.

Regards,
Markus (S)