Re: Ranorex 8 migration [complete]

Ask general questions here.
NelsonD

Re: Ranorex 8 migration [complete]

Post by NelsonD » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:43 pm

Hello,

We currently have Ranorex 8 installed on a Windows 7 machine and we would like to another server running Windows as well.

I would like to know if there is a particular procedure to export/import all the projects, repositories and folders from the old installation to the new one.
As I know if we just move the folders, due to the fact the user account name is different, the path might be broken.
For instance for C:\Users\CurrentUser\Documents\Ranorex, the "CurrentUser" name might change.

What would be the best way to migrate everything to the new machine?

Also, is Windows Server 2016 supported?

Thank you.
Last edited by NelsonD on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Ranorex 8 migration.

Post by odklizec » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:33 am

Hi,

Basically, it should be enough to move entire folder with Ranorex projects. But if you are considering this option, it tells me that you are not using a version control system (SVN, GIT, TFS,...)? And this is a BIG mistake! You should immediately adopt one and store all your important projects there! Then the migration/delivery process should be a simple mater of get/checkout action. An additional benefit is safe storage of projects and complete history of changes, so you can always return back to certain version (in case of problems). All in all, you should stop what you are doing, adopt version control system and then use it for project delivery/migration.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

NelsonD

Post by NelsonD » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your answer! No version control is used because we only started using Ranorex recently. As until now, I was the only one working with Ranorex and we had no real need for a version control. Especially since the machine was backed up frequently.

Maybe it would be a good idea to integrate Git to ensure the migration is done without any issue. Also, the main benefit is that multiple users can work together on the same projects, which might be the case in the future.

We use Ranorex to test features already working on a dev environment and ensure no features are broken when we modify things or add new features. Therefore once the Ranorex cases are working they should always work (given no changes on these features are done).

qwertzu

Post by qwertzu » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Hey,

Using Git is a good choice ;-) When I started using Git with Ranorex, this userguide section was quite helpful: https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/source-control/git
It might help you too :-)

regards, qwertzu

NelsonD

Re: Ranorex 8 migration [done]

Post by NelsonD » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Hello,

The migration was done, but I had to redo the connectors and do small adjustments for the data-driven tests.
Something to keep in mind if you plan to migrate too!