Reading coordinates

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
yesubabumd

Reading coordinates

Post by yesubabumd » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:14 am

Hi:

I have downloaded Renorex and evaluting and planning to buy. I see a issue while playing the recorded script that Renorex going by the coordinates i.e position of the item. In my application data will be added dynamically and when i valiadate item using the Validate funtion, the position of the item may say 100,200 but while replyaing if it does not find the object in 100,200 position, tool is saying case is failed.

I need a help to identifying the object irrespective of its position in the page. Is there any other way that i need to use while using validate function?

if i get answer to this then i am fine to go for the commercials. please suggest!

Thanks,
Yesu

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reading coordinates

Post by Support Team » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:31 am

Hi!

Thanks for downloading and evaluating Ranorex.

Basically, elements on the GUI gets identified by Ranorex XPath. Coordinate positions are relative positions within regarding element (for example coordinates within a button).

Which techonologie are you using in your application?
Is it a client application (.NET (C#, VB.NET), WPF, Win32, Java,...) or is it a web application (e.g. silverlight, flash/flex,...).

To give you more detailed answers, please post a snapshot of your application.

Best Regards,
Martin
Support Team

yesubabumd

Post by yesubabumd » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:51 am

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your response. I have tried the samples which was provided Renorex and i see the issue what i am talking about. I have attached two images renorex_1.gif and renorex_2.gif.

While playing the demo, i have re sized the browser then the test case failed because it could not locate object. please see the renorex_1.gif.

I have played the demo as is without altering the browser size then the test case did not fail. Please see the renorex_2.gif.

Hope this clarifies my issues.

Thanks,
Yesu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi!

On your screenshots I can see that your app is Flash/Flex.

Which browser are you using - at the time Internetexplorer and Firefox 7 are supported.

Please goto Tools - Instrumentation Wizard in Ranorex Studio, select Adobe Flash/Flex and Uncheck all the checkboxes.

Why?
If you were using on of these browsers, then the problem is that the flash/flex site is double instrumented.
Our test example is using the AutomationLib, which means that there is code of this library within the tested application (the application is instrumented).

The preloader on the other hand enables Ranorex to detect elements withing Flash/Flex programs, which are not instrumented with AutomationLib.

If both methods are used, on has to be disabled.
Due to our example which you are using is instrumented with AutomationLib, you have to disable the Preloader.
Enable the preloader if you are trying to automate other Flash/Flex applications (which are not instrumented)

For more on that, go to Flash/Flex Testing.

The problem here was, that Ranorex was not able to go into the Flash/Flex - therefore it was using the relative coordinates within the Flash/Flex block.

I hope this helps to solve the problem

Best Regards,
Martin
Ranorex Support Team