Recommended method for recording large drop down selection

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
jasong

Recommended method for recording large drop down selection

Post by jasong » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:24 pm

We have some dropdowns with more than a 100 possible selections in the dropdown (regions here). I have not found a way to be able to automate this yet.
I notice that the particular element is selected (example: Spam) from the dropdown. I see this in the UI of the recorder and the script.

However, the playback seems to choke on the navigation through that list. Scrolling with a mouse wheel does not work and neither does the 'page down' method on the scroll bar (like with http://www.ranorex.com/forum/cannot-rea ... t283.html). Another method that does not work is grabbing the scroll selection widget and moving up or down. I suspect this is the same on all vert scrolls and perhaps horiz scrolls too?

When I try using the arrow keys and hitting 'Enter' or clicking the entry this does not work either.

Any hints?

Jason

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:47 am

Well, using the RanorexRecorder Beta1 you might not be able to automate every scrollbar just by recording and replaying. You can try to edit the generated code, though.

In the 1.3 release all the methods you mentioned should work (except for the mouse wheel that is not supported by the RanorexRecorder and can only be automated using the RanorexCore libraries directly).

Alex
Ranorex Support Team

jasong

Post by jasong » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:38 pm

Thanks for the info,
any idea offhand what actions scroll up and down generate or more specifically what Python methods would be called for these actions?

Jason

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:21 am

The easiest way is to generate keyboard events and send them to the dropdown control.

So you need to search for the DrowDown control by its title or class name (FormFind function) and then send keys using the ControlSendKeys function (see the documentation at http://www.ranorex.com/Documentation/Py ... 83d713a0c3).

Alex
Ranorex Support Team