Recommended VM system specs to use as RunTime

Ask general questions here.
tvu

Recommended VM system specs to use as RunTime

Post by tvu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Hello everyone,

I want to spin up some VMs to use purely as run time machines. We do very minimal automation with desktop browsers. The vast majority of our automation deals with our native mobile apps (iOS and Android) and the RxBrowser. We have separate machines that runs our Simulators and Emulators. It goes without saying that the VMs would need to communicate with the devices/simulators via LAN or WiFi. I was wondering if people with real world experience can recommend the VM system specs and hard drive space.

I found Ranorex's minimum and recommended specs here:
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... ments.html

Thank you.

Speedboat
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Recommended VM system specs to use as RunTime

Post by Speedboat » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi tvu

We used Hyper-V sccessfully (on Windows 10 / 64 bit).
You could install the visual studio emulator for android on your local machine,
or off course a real device.
From your VM you are able to use the emulator or device by network.
Your machine has to be in the same wifi and ranorex on VM requires the floating license.

Ranorex works also fine with VMware, but in this case you can't use VS emulator, because this emulators run also as Hyper-V. A combination of Hyper-V and VMware runing on the same host is not possible.

Hope this helps!

tvu

Post by tvu » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi Speedboat,

This is helpful. Did you set up your VMs to use the minimum hardware requirements that Ranorex recommended or did you find that to be insufficient?

Thanks.

Speedboat
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by Speedboat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi tvu

The minimum hardware requirements needed to run Ranorex successfully are pretty low.
Ranorex does not require lot of system resources - which is good.

In our case we have set up th VM's to have sufficient memory to host the OS, SUT and Ranorex and still have at least 1GB not used memory.

If you know the typical resources of the customer target system, adjust VM resources to match them.
Generally said, it is more likely that test cases fail due to lower system resources than vice versa.

Speedboat

tvu

Post by tvu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:08 am

Hi Speedboat,

How can you update the device profiles in Visual Studio Emulator for Android to support API greater than 23? I do not have Visual Studio installed on the VM just the emulator.

Thanks.