Record actions in remote machine

Ask general questions here.
murthyksvr

Record actions in remote machine

Post by murthyksvr » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:24 am

Hi, I have an application where i need to perform actions on different machines. Is it possible to automate such actions..If so, do we need to write user code or can it be done using record and play?
Below is the example for this use case:
-----------------------------------------------
There are two computers computer A, compuer B...I have load data in computer A
Once data is loaded in computer A and same is updated in computer B, Then perform actions in computer B
Once test execution is done in computer B, then delete data from Computer A

jma

Re: Record actions in remote machine

Post by jma » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi murthyksvr,

There is no out-of-the-box functionality to coordinate actions between two different environments. The Ranorex Test Suite is basically an executable file that needs not be executed on a specific machine. There's no way for Ranorex to access the UI of a different system.

What you could to is to create different test suites that are executed in sequence. For example, execute the test suites as follows.
  • firstTestSuite.exe (execute on computer A)
  • secondTestsuite.exe (execute on computer B after the previous execution finished)
  • thirdTestSuite.exe (execute on computer A after the previous execution finished)
In this case, you will need to find a way to trigger the different executable files alternately on the different machines.

I hope that helps.

murthyksvr

Post by murthyksvr » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:18 am

In this case, then we need to install Ranorex on 2 different machines, which implies we need two licenses right? but is it possible to write user code so that one machine acts as host and another machine acts as remote and few actions will be performed on remote machine and remaining actions will be performed on host machine. Please let me know if it is not clear

jma

Post by jma » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:03 pm

As mentioned above, Ranorex can't access the user interface of a different system. Therefore, this won't be possible.

If tests are executed on two machines simultaneously, you will need indeed two licenses. If you execute tests one after the other, probably a floating license will work for you. Basically, a floating runtime license is installed on a license server and leased to the runtime machine as soon as the executable test is started (and released when test execution is finished).

murthyksvr

Post by murthyksvr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:40 pm

What is the cost of floating license for 4 test machines and what is the price for standard license for one work station?

murthyksvr

Post by murthyksvr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:50 pm

Could you please suggest me a way to trigger the different executable files alternately on the different machines using Ranorex automation?

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:55 pm

Please look at the "Pricing" section of this website. It clearly details what each license costs.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

murthyksvr

Post by murthyksvr » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:17 am

Could you please suggest me a way to trigger the different executable files alternately on the different machines using Ranorex automation?

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:40 pm

First, do not ask the same question multiple times. This causes clutter in the forums and can confuse the issue.

Second, if you want to automate using Ranorex on both machines, you will need to have Ranorex installed and you will need to have a node-locked license for each system, or a floating license that each can use. If you run tests on both systems at the same time then you will need 2 floating licenses. There is no way around this.

If you just want to start a process on a remote machine and you don't want to automate it, you can use PsExec.
Shortcuts usually aren't...