Recording external applications on Android

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
martinp

Recording external applications on Android

Post by martinp » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:26 pm

Hi,

Currently I'm testing ranorex demo version 5.3.0 if it would give some benefit on some of our products. I'm running it on Win7, on my phone there I have Lollipop 5.0.1.

I have a use case which I'm trying to record where our application is running an external application to browse photos on phone's memory. As the external application is opened the ranorex service connection is lost and recording is stopped.

I've seen a similar thread here on this forum but it was about iOS and running native applications, so a bit different situation. I have tried to instrument a non-native Android application (QuickPic in my case) and open the gallery with this (pre-instrumented) application but still no success. Service connection is lost also in this case.

So my question would be if it's possible to run external application while recording on Android. If not, is there any other way around?

Thanks for support!
Martin

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recording external applications on Android

Post by Support Team » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi Martin,

In Ranorex 5.3 we added a feature which allows you to automate System Application on Android devices.
May I ask you to have a look at this section in our User Guide?

Please note that you will need to create your recording manually by tracking elements and moving them into the action table as shown in the sample at the end of the User Guide chapter.

Regards,
Markus (S)

martinp

Re: Recording external applications on Android

Post by martinp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi Markus!

That worked! This demands a bit of manual browsing for the right elements and couple of trials but it will do the thing as it should.

Thank you again for support!
Martin