Remote agent running tests on mobile devices

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
Speedboat
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Remote agent running tests on mobile devices

Post by Speedboat » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:35 am

Hi

Does anyone have experience with the remote agent and test on mobile devices?
If the devices connected by WI-FI, I assume that it works fine (if remote agent and device are on the same network)
How is the situation when the devices are connected by USB?

In either case you have to add the devices once and deploy the apps with Ranorex Studio on the machine where the remote agent runs. That's what I would expect.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Speedboat

tvu

Re: Remote agent running tests on mobile devices

Post by tvu » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:20 pm

Not sure what you are asking for besides knowing that it works. But, I use remote agents with mobile device testing and it works fine. You are correct, if you want to run a test via USB then you have to use the Agent that is running on the machine that is connected to the device via USB. You must have the mobile device added as a USB device in your device list. I usually have it listed twice: mobileDeviceName and mobileDeviceNameWiFi.

I have my issues with the remote agents, but nothing specific to mobile devices.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Remote agent running tests on mobile devices

Post by Support Team » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:56 pm

I would choose connecting via the network because it has the added advantage of being able to be accessed from multiple computers. If you use USB, then you are limited to using the device only on the computer to which it is connected.

The only repeat issue that we get a lot is people not having the correct driver installed for their device, which is easily remedied usually with a quick trip to the manufacturer's website.

If you do run into any specific issues, then communicate them to support with screenshots, and we are happy to help.