Remote Agent / Studio on Virtual Machine - mouse click fails

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
amol.pophale

Remote Agent / Studio on Virtual Machine - mouse click fails

Post by amol.pophale » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:24 am

Hi there,

I am relatively new to Ranorex but have been playing with the tool since 2 months as we are in the evaluation phase.

Below is the detailed scenario -

1. I installed Ranorex Studio version 8.1.1 on Windows 7 physical machine (lenovo laptop) and recorded few web application tests. All othe them run quite nicely on laptop when run via studio.
2. Next step is to run my tests using Remote Agent so I installed Remote Agent (version 3.0.3) on hyper-v virtual machine (Windows 7) and added that agent in studio remote connection. I could successfully publish my tests to agent and test execution starts but test fails immediately. With further investigation I realized that mouse click events are not working on agent.
3. I gone through the documentation and read through many posts on forum and followed many suggestions but no success in running tests on agent installed on virtual machine. (sames tests run well on physical box)
4. To pin down the problem I installed the Ranorex studio on virtual machine and try to run the tests using studio (via RDP) but same issue. Tests fails at mouse click action.
5. Then I tried running sample web application wordpress that comes with studio but same issue.
6. Then I recorded just login and few mouse click steps with my application but same problem - mouse click action didn't work.

Is anyone had similar problem and if yes is there any resolution?

Thanks,
Amol

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Remote Agent / Studio on Virtual Machine - mouse click fails

Post by odklizec » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:47 am

Hi,

At first, make sure, the Ranorex settings are the same on both physical and virtual machine.

At next, what is the exact behavior on the VM? Have you watched the failing scenario during the mouse click?

VMs are often a bit slower than physical machine and you may observe a behavior, that the mouse cursor is dragged to the target element, but the click is actually performed "slightly" before the cursor reaches the target. The effect of this behavior is "selection" of text under the mouse. The solution is (at least it worked for me) enabling Turbo mode in failing recordings. With enabled Turbo, there are skipped all delays in given recording, except the manually added Delay actions. So the mouse is not dragged to the element, it simply jumps to the target and then there is performed click. Hope this help?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:18 am

What are the error messages you get?
Do you get any warnings, e.g. technology limitations?
Did you install Ranorex with all prerequisites, e.g. by installing it using the "Ranorex-X.Y.Z.exe" self-extracting exe file?

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

deepthi

Post by deepthi » Wed May 09, 2018 1:56 pm

Hello Amol,
I have a similar issue where mouse clicks are missed while running tests on a virtual machine. I was wondering if enabling the TURBO mode helped you?
It does not seem to work in my case.
Did you find any other solution to this ?
Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Deepthi

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Wed May 09, 2018 2:54 pm

deepthi wrote:I have a similar issue where mouse clicks are missed while running tests on a virtual machine.
Can you please elaborate on "mouse clicks missed"? What do you mean exactly?

What are the error messages you get?
Do you get any warnings, e.g. technology limitations?
Did you install Ranorex with all prerequisites, e.g. by installing it using the "Ranorex-X.Y.Z.exe" self-extracting exe file?

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

amol.pophale

Post by amol.pophale » Wed May 09, 2018 11:21 pm

Hello All,

Apologize for late response. But eventually problem turned out to be Windows RDP issue. Earlier I was running my tests with RDP or RDP window was open when I was running tests using Ranorex Agent.

I tried running tests using Agent but RDP window closed and all worked like charm.

Also tried using other remote desktop client like VNC or html5 browser client and all worked.

In a nutshell do not use Windows RDP for VMs.

Thanks,
Amol

deepthi

Post by deepthi » Thu May 17, 2018 10:48 am

Thank you all for the help.

As odklizec Suggested, enabling the TURBO mode in each recording module worked for me.