Remote Execution

Ask general questions here.
Jason

Remote Execution

Post by Jason » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:07 pm

I am trying to run the test using an executable on a test machine. I built it in Ranorex, moved the files from the project/bin folder to the remote machine, along with the the contents of the program files\ranorex\bin folder. On the Test PC I run the .exe file from the command line and it begins executing. It opens my application that is being tested, but then it will not find the button in the app. Running the same test on the PC with Ranorex on it, the test executes fine. The error that is generating is:

[2016/07/27 19:02:25.635][Error ][Module]: Failed to find item 'evalRepository.MainWindow.Border'.<br/>No element found for path '/form[@wpfnative='True' and @title='MainWindow' and @processname='Application']//container/container[1]/button[@automationid='theHostButton']/element[@automationid='border']' within 1m.

Its the exact same application between the system with Ranorex installed and the test PC.

Any ideas?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Remote Execution

Post by odklizec » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:48 am

Hi,

Have you examined the xpath on remote machine? I mean, open Spy and check the xpath of element in question. The most probable answer is that the xpath on remote machine differs from the one recorded in repository. Make sure you have the same Ranorex settings on main and remote machine!
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:04 pm

So the remote machine doesn't have Ranorex installed - I am trying to run the test using only the .exe with all the support files copied over.

Additionally, the application I am trying to run it on is a self-contained executable that I copied directly from my Ranorex development machine (where it works) to my test machine, so I can't see how the element xpaths would differ.

I am evaluating Ranorex for my company and having the ability to move the test executable to our test systems without doing a full install of Ranorex is very important to us.

Ranorex Snapshot. Unfortunately I cannot.
Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
Ranorex version 6.0.1
OS version: Server 2012 R2
HW configuration: VM with 2 Sockets/2 cores, 8GB RAM

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:09 pm

Jason wrote:So the remote machine doesn't have Ranorex installed
From the RanoreXPath you posted, I can see that your AUT is a WPF application. Unfortunately, for WPF recognition you currently may have to put in some extra xcopy effort .

Additionally to the steps mentioned in the XCOPY Deployment chapter in the User Guide, you have to copy the Ranorex libraries and assemblies (i.e. the content of the installation "bin" folder) to the folder where the AUT loads its assemblies from (usually the installation directory of the AUT).

This way, the Ranorex assemblies will be available when the WPF application is instrumented even if they are not installed in the GAC.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team