Remote login without RDP

Ask general questions here.
Shakib

Remote login without RDP

Post by Shakib » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi,
Please let me know

Without Remote login, can we execute the ranorex test cases in a machine?
Note: it will be for web application.

Thanks
Shakib Qureshi

krstcs

Re: Remote login without RDP

Post by krstcs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:43 pm

First, please provide more information. There is very little to go on here. Describe exactly what you are trying to do.

Second, Ranorex requires a realized, unlocked desktop. Without that there is no way for it to work. That means you must have a user logged into the system and no lock or screensaver active.

If you are asking about alternative remote desktop software then your best bet is to install a VNC server on the remote system and use a VNC client like TightVNC.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:47 am

And there is an RDP option as well to get the result you are looking for.

Basically what needs to be done is the following:

1) Have an RDP machine to connect to that is used to run your tests
2) You need to disable screen saver for that machine (I had to do it from registry)
3) Then disable the "On Resume, display logon screen" option under Personalize settings for the screen saver
4) And finally create a .bat script with the following content "%windir%\System32\tscon.exe RDP-Tcp#0 /dest:console"

So basically when you have everything set up (required only once) you will run the .bat script. This will close the RDP window BUT the session will be left open with the screen enabled.

And to connect/run your test on that machine you could just use either the Ranorex Agent or if more logic/functionality is needed you might consider integrating Jenkins to your system (freeware).

There should be some topics on this forum related to this solution and if you'll consider this solution and can't find any additional information, just send me a message and i'll be glad to help.

Shakib

Post by Shakib » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:54 am

Hi

Thanks for the input , our requirement is as below

Tasks we have already done.
1) we are using chef to auto-deploy the web application ( which we are able to deploy the web application)
2) we are able to setup the ranorex in the Virtual-box and able to connect to the license on the same.

Tasks to be done.

1) we need to run the ranorex test cases without rdp to the virtual box to launch the web application and to run the testcases.

regards
Shakib

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:03 pm

Sorry but the information you gave is quite vague. Without RDP to virtual box?

Quite contradicting. Please be more specific.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:55 pm

OK, if I understand your problem correctly, you just want to run your tests on a virtual machine and without user interaction (e.g. without the need to login to the machine and start the tests manually)? In this case, your best option is to install and configure some kind of continuous integration server, like Jenkins (free), Bamboo (paid), etc... With this you can configure your VM as a "slave" connected to the main CI server, which instructs slave VM to build&start your tests. It also keeps the VM logged-in and unlocked.

BTW, starting from Ranorex 6.1, you can also run your tests remotely, from locally installed Ranorex Studio. But this option requires user interaction. In my opinion, it's 100% worth to invest some time in installation and configuration of proper CI solution.

For more details about integrating Ranorex with various CI solutions, check this blog post:
http://www.ranorex.com/blog/integrate-r ... n-process/
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Shakib

Post by Shakib » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi

Can we do it with Git Lab CI Runner.

Regards
Shakib

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:56 pm

Shakib wrote:Hi

Can we do it with Git Lab CI Runner.

Regards
Shakib
Hey

Most likely yes because even with Ranorex you are still most likely using batch and shell commands to automate the running of the test solution.

I haven't really dug into GitLab CI functionality but it would be a pointless tool without these options :)

You can find the command line arguments/commands information for Ranorex here: http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... html#c3022

Regards
Martin